Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-File for more than a three year look back period

SMSJax
Level 1

I have a client that needed to submit federal tax returns for the tax years from 2016 through 2019.  After the IRS recommended electronic filing for those years, I was unable to submit these using PoSeries software.  I was however, able to authorize, pay for and print these returns in pay per return.  I am very disappointed to not be able to submit the returns electronically.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

As always, you cannot rely on what the IRS tells you over the phone. The IRS employee who said to efile all the old returns was wrong.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Current year and prior year is IRS standard as far as what can be efiled. Efile window in PS opens up Monday but you can only efile 2022, 2021, and 2020 then. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

The IRS makes those rules, not Intuit.  Personally, I would be more disappointed to have to prepare 2016-2019 returns in 2023.  Those aren't clients that I would highly treasure ☹️

Slava Ukraini!
taxes96786
Level 9

I agree that PS should give us efile capability for the past 10 years. Those of us who do compliance work, that can go back 10 years for filing purposes, would greatly benefit with this option.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm sure ProSeries would be very happy to do that.  But since the IRS only accepts three years, what are you going to do with those other seven years? 🙄

Slava Ukraini!
taxes96786
Level 9

The original post said they were told by IRS to efile the older returns. If IRS does not accept prior to three years back then why would they recommend the returns be efiled? Compliance with IRS is open for 10 years before they wipe the liability from their records.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

As always, you cannot rely on what the IRS tells you over the phone. The IRS employee who said to efile all the old returns was wrong.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Compliance with IRS is open for 10 years before they wipe the liability from their records." That's oversimplified.

The statute of limitations on collection is 10 years after assessment.

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

Yes and the IRS goes back 10 years when doing compliance work. Do you do compliance work?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

What difference does it make?  The IRS allows three years of e-filing.  If you have an issue with that, contact them and tell them the error of their ways.  Nobody here can change it.

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@taxes96786 

whoever @ the IRS told you you could efile all those returns didn’t know what they were talking about.  A revenue agent perhaps? Wouldn’t be the first time an irs employee was wrong.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
taxes96786
Level 9

What I am really saying is that because of compliance, IRS should open efiling 10 years back.

0 Cheers