Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Donation of Rental Property

jasieve
Level 3

I have a client who who donated property which was formerly a rental.  He has owned it for over 30 years, so the property is fully depreciated.  The original basis was $27,100 for depreciation purposes.  The adjusted basis is $7900.  The FMV is $105,000.  We have the appraisal to show value.  How does this get  reported on Schedule A?  I know the deduction will be limited due to his income.  Is he entitled to FMV and/or do I need to recapture the depreciation as ordinary income?

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

Form 8283. Most likely he can deduct FMV. See the form instructions.

Ex-AllStar
The Tax Shelter
Level 2

I have a similar situation.  Fully depreciated rental property purchased in 1972 was donated.  Purchase price of asset was $30,992.  Hud-1 to recipient shows "gift" of $43,959 + expenses.

1. I am assuming the gift is $43,959 ?

2. Is there any gain on the disposition?

A.C. Stickel
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Was the donee a charity? I've never seen a HUD 1 for a gift of property to a charity. 

The charitable contribution is the FMV determined by the required appraisal.

No taxable gain on a contribution of appreciated property.

Or was this a bargain sale to charity? More complicated.

Ex-AllStar
The Tax Shelter
Level 2

Yes, it was given to a 501(c)(3).  I agree about the Hud-1.  It wasn't a sale, just a transfer.  & I'm not sure how they arrived at the value.  It wasn't the selling price or the appraised price.

A.C. Stickel
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

What selling price? You said it wasn't sold to the charity.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
The Tax Shelter
Level 2

It was given to the charity and they sold it for $35,000 +/-

A.C. Stickel
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Oh. Makes sense now.

Ex-AllStar