Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadline to file 2016 Form 1040 for refund?

RBJOHLE
Level 1

Deadline to file 2016 Form 1040 for refund?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Extended until July 15th

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

And if an extension was requested in 2017, then October 15.  

RBJOHLE
Level 1

Thanks - this is an original return, not 1040X.

I assume July 15 still appliers?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

1040X is not the same as "extended".

When was the 2016 return actually FILED?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

See Q22.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-and-payment-deadlines-questions-and-answers

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

@BobKamman wrote:

And if an extension was requested in 2017, then October 15.  

To add to Bob's comment, if the return was filed before the extended due date, the SOL will run based on the actual filing date rather than Oct 15.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

@itonewbie   "if the return was filed before the extended due date, the SOL will run based on the actual filing date rather than Oct 15."

I'm not so sure of that.  IRM just says "Three years after the due date of the return, or three years after the return was actually filed, whichever is later."  That doesn't make sense for returns filed in November, though.  But I always have to look it up.  There's sometimes a question about whether the mailbox rule applies to October 15 returns.  I think it does, but not to refund claims using the "two years since paid" date.  

0 Cheers
RBJOHLE
Level 1

2016 return has not been filed.

Based on most recent IRS alerts, it appears that any and all filings due by April 15 have been pushed out to July 15.

0 Cheers