Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of Debt

Sandbug634
Level 1

I have a client that received a 1099-C  (Cancellation of Debt) for a credit card in her deceased spouse name and his social security number.  Does she have to claim it on her returned?  He died in 2016.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sandbug634
Level 1

It's not an estate or property debt.  It is a credit card in his name and it was not a joint account.  If her name and social security number is not on it,  is she still responsible.  I would think she did not have to report it.  

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Sandbug634
Level 1

It's not an estate or property debt.  It is a credit card in his name and it was not a joint account.  If her name and social security number is not on it,  is she still responsible.  I would think she did not have to report it.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're talking to yourself, and answering your own question. 😏 We like that. We had a blind squirrel around here that did that. RIP Henry. Bet you're glad you're not around for this tax season.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers