Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA apportionment payroll factor – Severance Costs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

A company i'm working on has more than 50% of gross income from qualified business activities. Does anybody here know if we include severance costs into the CA apportionment payroll factor? 

Here it CA FTB's instructions for payroll factors:
"Compensation – means wages, salaries, commissions, and any other form of remuneration paid to employees for personal services. Payments made to an independent contractor, or any other person not properly classifiable as an employee, are excluded."

I'm trying to figure out if that includes severance.

Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't see why you wouldn't include it. It is "wages, salaries, commissions, and any other form of remuneration paid to employees for personal services"

They earned the severance pay by virtue of their providing years of service.

Plus you're talking about CA. They'll tax as much as they can and go for more.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't see why you wouldn't include it. It is "wages, salaries, commissions, and any other form of remuneration paid to employees for personal services"

They earned the severance pay by virtue of their providing years of service.

Plus you're talking about CA. They'll tax as much as they can and go for more.

Ex-AllStar
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I decided to include that. I definitely agree with your view on CA haha.

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers