Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Question of IRS 2022-53 waiving RMD requirement for 2021 and 2022

TaxesTech
Level 4

IRS Notice 2022-53 waived beneficiary RMD requirement for tax year 2021 and 2022, if the IRA owner died in 2020 and 2021 and on or after required beginning date. 

My client is a 50% successor beneficiary of his uncle's inherited IRA from the grandpa who reached the required beginning date at the time of death in 2019.  The uncle, who has been taking RMD for this IRA account, died in his 60's in 2022.  As mentioned earlier, my client was named on the uncle's plan doc to receive 50% beneficiary interest of this IRA account. My client's financial advisor advised, as his late uncle didn't take the RMD in 2022 yet, my client need to take 50% of the RMD on behalf of his uncle.  Is this advise really correct?  

I think my client is not required to take RMD in 2022.  

First of all, I think the IRS Notice 2022-53's broader rationale is not to enforce the exercise tax penalty prior to 2023 in order to provide taxpayer relief before finalizing the 10-year rule guidance, so even the uncle died in 2022, but not 2020 or 2021, my client should not be penalized for fail to take the RMD.  However, the IRS can argue that my client is taking the RMD that the uncle supposed to take in 2022, that was resulted from the grandpa's death in 2019, thus not covered by the IRS Notice 2022-53.  

Even without applying the IRS notice 2022-23, shouldn't my client, who is not a sole beneficiary of the inherited IRA, have until 09/30/23, but not 12/31/2022, the year of his uncle's death, to be the designated beneficiary and start to take the distributions as required then?  

I might be missing something here...any insights are highly appreciated!  

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

The grandfather has no reference now. 2019 doesn't apply, either. I'm pretty sure the 2022 RMD would be taken for the estate as the uncle's SSN should be used for this step. Then the account gets split. I think that's what you asked. The notice doesn't change your client's activity. It provides for penalty relief for something from the uncle's period of responsibility. Your client moves on from there. 

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

The grandfather has no reference now. 2019 doesn't apply, either. I'm pretty sure the 2022 RMD would be taken for the estate as the uncle's SSN should be used for this step. Then the account gets split. I think that's what you asked. The notice doesn't change your client's activity. It provides for penalty relief for something from the uncle's period of responsibility. Your client moves on from there. 

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
TaxesTech
Level 4

Thank you!  That makes sense! 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

To get technical, it didn't waive the RMD requirement. It said the 50% penalty/excise tax for failing to take the RMD won't be imposed.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers