Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alimony with No recipient SSN

-Dan-
Level 1

Divorced but ex wife won't provide SSN for payor's Tax Prep above line deduction.

How do you proceed with error on return?  Can it be efiled in proseries?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

7 Comments 7
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Get one of your clients prior tax returns.  Her Social will be on there.

-Dan-
Level 1

Income high enough to file this year.  Haven't filed in past years.  No records available.  Wife won't provide.  Ssn is not available.  How to file without it?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Sounds like a phone call to the divorce lawyer is in order.

I'm wondering if you could start backup withholding on the alimony, maybe that will get her attention.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Divorce finalized prior to 2019? 

0 Cheers
-Dan-
Level 1

Divorce Date 10-1-18

0 Cheers
-Dan-
Level 1

I called spouse lawyer and requested a call to his client to encourage her to provide SSN.  He said.  They hadn't a relationship with client in past 3 or 4 months.  I thanked him for the professional courtesy.(eye roll)

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

ah, ok @-Dan- . Still good to go with deduction then. 

Yeah, thats a toughie. I thought I saw one person mention looking back at an old tax return while they were married. Thats a good idea. 

I LOVE @rbynaker idea. That would turn sh-t around REAL quick. 

Worst case, paper file with divorce decree stating alimony (unsure if decree states alimony amount).