Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Stimulus Payment letters

MarydeniseF1
Level 1

Has anyone seen the 3rd stimulus letters that the IRS was supposed to issue by the end of January?

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
rbynaker
Level 13

Yes.

abctax55
Level 15

Yep - several of them.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
MarydeniseF
Level 3

Thank you...I have not seen any yet. Everything I read said the end of January and it's the 31st and still nothing. Hopefully soon. Tired of arguing with clients that they need to go online..I can't do it for them. 

0 Cheers
MarydeniseF
Level 3

Thank you...do you know the approximate mail date? Have not seen one yet.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

The one that came in just today was dated 1.14.22

( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

I think Cheryl got hers on Friday and I haven't gotten mine yet (but I have my 1444-C).

I'm not requiring these.  Clients may have the 1444-C or if they say they got the full amount, no point in waiting just to claim $0 RRC.  If someone wants to tell me they never got it (and their prior year return indicates they should have gotten it) then I'll need to see a transcript showing that the IRS doesn't think they sent one out.

The advance CTC is a much bigger deal IMO.

abctax55
Level 15

Rick, I agree.  And my CPE classes said the IRS will treat any discrepancies on THIS as simple math errors.  Much less of an issue.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I just checked and the date on the letter was 1/24/22.  But for most of January I only got mail delivery 3-4 days a week (presumably because we are in a huge Omicron hot spot in late Dec/early Jan).

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@abctax55 wrote:

Rick, I agree.  And my CPE classes said the IRS will treat any discrepancies on THIS as simple math errors.  Much less of an issue.

I thought that's what they did last year too though (I could be wrong though).  I'd have to look up the statute again (which I have around here somewhere but all of the Acts have blurred together for me and I can't remember what's in FFCRA, what's in CARES, CAA, ARPA, etc.)

At this point I've given up trying to understand computers and I'm just trying to survive them.  So I'll happily spend an extra 15 minutes up front to make the IRS computers happy and avoid 15 weeks (or months?) of letters and phone calls down the road.

rbynaker
Level 13

Must be channeling Henry tonight, I'm talking to myself.  Sec. 2201 of the CARES Act: "Any failure to so reduce the credit shall be treated as arising out of a mathematical or clerical error and assessed according to section 6213(b)(1)."  That was for 2020 RRC (and we see how well that turned out).