Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Form 8965

George4Tacks
Level 15

My rather delinquent client filed several late returns. Yesterday they got a notice from IRS asking about health care coverage for 2013. 1st question - Did you have health care coverage for the whole year - YES or NO. If you answer YES then all done.

If you answer NO, the IRS wants an 8965. Can you help me find a 8965 for 2013? I would call IRS, but it so hard to get through. I went to their website and they don't seem to have the 8965 for years before 2014,

OH! WHAT TO DO? 

IRS has been sending out the most interesting notices.  Any comments will be joyfully accepted. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The IRS is so confused.  They are sending out notices for required health insurance for 2013, when the requirement didn't begin until 2014.

While I understand the IRS getting behind on things due to COVID and late or retroactive law changes, I don't understand who could have programmed their computer to send out these weird notices for something that did not exist at that time.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The IRS is so confused.  They are sending out notices for required health insurance for 2013, when the requirement didn't begin until 2014.

While I understand the IRS getting behind on things due to COVID and late or retroactive law changes, I don't understand who could have programmed their computer to send out these weird notices for something that did not exist at that time.

BobKamman
Level 15

They probably have just one form letter and a clerk fills in the year.  No one is perfect.  I'm sure there was a good reason to file a 2013 return, and maybe there was a good reason to file one for 2014 also, and maybe that's the year for which the form is missing.  

0 Cheers