This article will help you generate a married filing jointly vs. married filing separately comparison worksheet in ProConnect Tax.
To generate the MFJ vs MFS Comparison Worksheet:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- On the left-side menu, select General.
- Click on Client Information.
- From the Filing Status drop-down, select 2=Married filing joint.
- Check the box, MFJ vs MFS Comparison.
- Using the primary input screens for income and deductions, indicate items that are Taxpayer, Spouse, or Joint.
- The program will apply community property rules based on the taxpayer's resident state. To override:
- Go to General > Misc. Info/Direct Deposit
- Make an entry in Apply community property rules: 1=no, 2=yes
There is currently no feature to split an MFJ return into two MFS returns in ProConnect Tax.