This article will help you determine why some or all of your client files did not proforma as expected and resolve the issue. There are a number of reasons why you might not see clients after attempting to proforma them to the next year. The most common solutions are listed first below.
Before you start:
- If you are receiving a "Failure during Proforma Processing..." or "Failed to Transfer..." error when trying to proforma, see support article Failure during Proforma processing. or "Failed to transfer." When Attempting to Proforma Client.
Follow these steps to verify you're viewing the correct tax type:
- Click the Client menu, then go to Tax Type.
- Select the correct tax type of the client proforma'd.
Follow these steps to verify the data path:
Make sure the path to which you are proforma'ing the client and the path you are viewing in the later tax year are the same.
For example, if you are transferring your Individual clients from 2019 Lacerte to 2020 Lacerte:
- In the 2019 Lacerte program, go to the Tools menu.
- Then click Transfer Clients (Proforma) and click Next at the Welcome screen.
- Select the Select specific clients from the Individual Tax program option and click Next.
- Select Custom and click Next.
- Select the clients you want to transfer and click the Add button. This will move the client(s) to the Clients to Transfer pane.
- Click Next.
- Verify the Destination Directory (look for any errors, misspelled words, or extra characters). This directory should be the same as your 2020 Lacerte Individual Data Path.
- Open the 2020 Lacerte Tax program and go to Settings and then click Options.
- Click the Setup tab and make note of the Data Path.
- If the Data Path is not the same as the destination directory, re-proforma the client in the prior year and click Browse to transfer the client to the current year's data path.
Follow these steps to verify no Filters have been set:
Filters and pre-filters can sometimes cause clients not to display when they are actually present in the data path.
- In the Clients tab in the later year program, click on All Clients and Client Status (both in the left-hand pane) to turn off any filters.
- Click on the Filters menu and click Select Pre-Filter.
- Click Reset and then click OK. This will turn off and pre-selected filters.
Follow these steps to review common detail entries that affect proforma:
Check the client input to make sure the following are not true:
- For Individual returns, check for a Date of Death on Screen 1 - Client Information. Returns that have a deceased taxpayer with filing status of Single, MFS, or HOH will not proforma.
- For Business returns, check to see if the return is marked as a Final Return. Returns marked final will not transfer to the next year. [Partnership - screen 3; Corporate - screen 4; S-Corporation - screen 3; Fiduciary - screen 2]
- For Corporate Returns, check that the consolidator box is not marked in either Screen 1 - Miscellaneous Info , or Screen 4.1 - Misc under the section Converted client (proforma use only). If either of these boxes are checked, the client will not transfer to the next year.
If all but one or two clients proforma over:
- If all of the clients but one have proforma'd from one year to the next, the problem could be a proforma bridge file that is stuck in the YYTax\*DATA folder, where YY refers to the year and * the tax type, such as IDATA, CDATA, PDATA, etc.
- In this instance, navigate to the applicable data directory and look for a file such as:
- In IDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].IP0
- In PDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].PP0
- In CDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].CP0
- In SDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].SP0
- In BDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].BP0
- In RDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].RP0
- In FDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].FP0
- In NDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].NP0
- In TDATA - delete all the files with the extension [Client#].TP0
When clients proforma over as they should, these transitional files will no longer appear. If they do after. For example, proforma'ing from the previous year to the next year and opening next year program where the proforma'd clients appear, then one or two files may have been corrupt. They will appear as files such as 500.IP0 which would be client 500 of the Individual module of the TY20 program or ABCCORP.CP0, which would be client ABCCORP in the TY20 Corporate module. In the TY20 IDATA or CDATA folders, locate those files and delete them. This will clear the bridge file, then proforma the client again from TY19 to TY20 which should resolve the issue.
If you see a "Failed to transfer. Please verify that client forms can be viewed" or "Exception occurred" message:
- With the Client Number for the file that won't proforma on hand, find your data path in the program by going to Settings > Options > Setup (or by pressing Control+O) and make note of it.
- Open File Explorer (Windows key +E) and browse to the data path.
- Inside your Data folder will be a folder called Notes. Open the Notes folder.
- Rename the CLIENT.ii9 or CLIENT.ii0 to .ii9OLD or .ii0OLD, respectively, where "CLIENT" is the client number.
- Retry to proforma the client.