Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended Returns

nasncw
Level 1

They say we can file amended returns electronically.  I know we cannot until after 3/25/21.  My questions is when I do an amended return and pick to file electronically it comes up with an error of duplicate SS numbers.  How do you get around that?

0 Cheers

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You should be using the same file for the amended as you did for the original, you shouldnt have 2 files in the EFCenter with the same SSN.  If you amended using a copy, it wont be able to Efile, it needs to be the original file with the embedded original EF data.

If you saved a copy of the "wrong" original with some other name, open it back up and uncheck the Efile boxes on it, so it kicks it out of the EFcenter.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You should be using the same file for the amended as you did for the original, you shouldnt have 2 files in the EFCenter with the same SSN.  If you amended using a copy, it wont be able to Efile, it needs to be the original file with the embedded original EF data.

If you saved a copy of the "wrong" original with some other name, open it back up and uncheck the Efile boxes on it, so it kicks it out of the EFcenter.

TAXATION
Level 4

why can't amended returns be filed until 3/25-21?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
looks like they changed the date for the form to be final to the 18th.

0 Cheers
TAXATION
Level 4

THANK YOU

0 Cheers