Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to e-file an amended 1120S but I can't fix the duplicate EIN issue because the original return shows that it was accepted.

david3
Level 7

I have unchecked the file federal and state electronically and checked the file amended federal box only. I also made sure the Amended box is checked on the 1120S.

None of the help articles have been able to resolve this problem.

How do I fix the duplicate EIN problem?

Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You've got the amended e-file box marked within the return?

Ive never had an issue with efiling an amended 1120S return, but Ive also never renamed or copied the file.  I just keep a PDF/printout of the original and then make changes to the original file and mark the amended efile box in the information worksheet and the amended box on the front page of the 1120S.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Do you have 2 separate client files in the EF Center (the original and the amended one) or just the 1 (the original with changes and the amended box checked)?

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7
Just the federal with changes and the amended box checked. I renamed the file "amended".
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
When you look at the EFCenter, do 2 different files shows the Duplicate EIN message in red?   

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7
No, just the amended return is the only federal return that shows up in the EF center (ALL and Pending) with the Duplicate EIN message in red. The state original return shows up in the EF center (ALL) and shows as Accepted. The amended state return had to be mailed by the client.
0 Cheers
david3
Level 7
Yes, the amended e-file box is marked, as shown in your image, in the renamed "amended" return.

I have never read anything in any help article about keeping a pdf copy of the original. That seems like a good idea if that gets rid of this duplicate nonsense.

There has to be a way to get the amended e-flied since I have followed the instructions on amending an 1120S and have the original and the amended returns in HomeBase, but only the amended in the EF Center. None of the help instructions seem to work. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

Do you think since I already have a pdf copy of the original tax return that I should delete it in HomeBase and only have the amended tax return in HomeBase? Or will that mess up anything since the original return is showing as EF accepted in PS?

Thanks for your help.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If the original is showing in the EFCenter as Accepted then the one that is pending will be a duplicate EIN file...that's where your problem lies.  

Open that original that's in the Accepted Tab and uncheck the Efile boxes on it,then Save and Exit the client file.   That should solve your issue.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
and now that the correct return has been renamed "amended" be sure you transfer that file named "amended" into 2018 when you go to transfer your clients in.....you don't want to transfer the original file to 2018, since those figures were not correct.

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7
Hi Lisa. I tried responding to your last post right after you sent it but I was blocked from the community site. Some reason like inappropriate or something like that. Weird.

Thanks for the tip regarding next year's transfer.

I had already unchecked the e-file boxes on the original return before submitting my question to the community site. I finally got it to work by changing the EIN on the original tax return and saving it.

That is a crazy work around to get an amended tax return filed. PS should make it easier to e-file amended returns. OF COURSE the SSN/EIN will be the same as another return - the original return. If there wasn't another tax return with the same SSN/EIN then there wouldn't be a need to amend the return.

Sorry to blow off steam. It's frustrating to follow the directions and still have to do a weird workaround.

Thanks for all of your help.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Glad you figured out a workaround!  

I always use the original file and make the changes to it and its never been an issue, I just keep the original (wrong) return in PDF and paper format, the figures on it are wrong so I don't see the need to keep a copy within the tax program.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You've got the amended e-file box marked within the return?

Ive never had an issue with efiling an amended 1120S return, but Ive also never renamed or copied the file.  I just keep a PDF/printout of the original and then make changes to the original file and mark the amended efile box in the information worksheet and the amended box on the front page of the 1120S.

0 Cheers