Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I record nominee interest/dividends on the 1040 of the person who paid them?

sbgcpa
Level 1

Do I enter the net and then attach a note that explains? I tried entering the original numbers and then reduce those numbers by the nominee portion and the amounts work.  The tax computes right except I get an error message for the qualified dividends.  Please if you point me to another form be very specific.  Apparently there is away to do this since nominee shows up on the summary but I am totally missing it. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

You should always report the gross amount reported on the 1099.  Most software should have a line for nominee interest/dividends on the same input screen(s) used to enter interest/dividends.  Since I don't use PS, I can't be more specific than that.

In case there is no line entry for that (which would be unusual), you can always enter nominee interest/dividend as a negative amount with "Nominee Interest" or "Nominee Dividend" as the description.  Essentially, that separate line entry would offset the gross amounts reported on the 1099s (which the IRS can match) and the net amount is the taxable income.

Others who use PS may stop by to give you more specific instructions for the input.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

You should always report the gross amount reported on the 1099.  Most software should have a line for nominee interest/dividends on the same input screen(s) used to enter interest/dividends.  Since I don't use PS, I can't be more specific than that.

In case there is no line entry for that (which would be unusual), you can always enter nominee interest/dividend as a negative amount with "Nominee Interest" or "Nominee Dividend" as the description.  Essentially, that separate line entry would offset the gross amounts reported on the 1099s (which the IRS can match) and the net amount is the taxable income.

Others who use PS may stop by to give you more specific instructions for the input.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Double Click on an interest entry line or dividend entry line to get to the Additional Info Worksheet for either of those two. There's an entry box for Nominee.

Beware if you have capital gain distributions, too. The nominee amount must include that amount, too.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
mark84
Level 1

Itonewbie:

I would be interested in consulting with you for a fee regarding nominee accounting. How may I reach you.

Thank you

0 Cheers