Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does desktop program icon cease to work? Program won't reopen and forces me to reboot computer, which is problematic in a busy day! This only happens with Proseries.

mykeleavitt1952
Level 1

When the "short-cut icon" on my desktop ceases to operate, I cannot open the program (right-click, go to program list, or any other method).  When clicked, the item shows engagement and then stops.  The only solution seems to be to close all programs and reboot the computer.  Checking for updates, running computer defrag, etc. does not seem to help.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

You may need to rename/reinstall software.  Sometimes this also occurs if your AV is scanning ProSeries, so you may want to remove it from the AV list.  Are you able to launch ProSeries from your start menu without issue?  You should regularly reboot machine anyway otherwise it may cause instability in the program to begin with.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

You may need to rename/reinstall software.  Sometimes this also occurs if your AV is scanning ProSeries, so you may want to remove it from the AV list.  Are you able to launch ProSeries from your start menu without issue?  You should regularly reboot machine anyway otherwise it may cause instability in the program to begin with.

0 Cheers
mykeleavitt1952
Level 1
When this occurs, I cannot open the program in any way.., including via the start menu.  I reboot my computer at least once a day, every day.  Being forced to do so multiple times during a busy day is frustrating and time-consuming.  The only solution seems to be to leave the program open continually... which is fraught with even more problems, especially when I am working on numerous years simultaneously or doing lots of online work.
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
Yes I would recommend renaming/reinstalling the software, if you need assistance in doing so, give us a call at 800-434-6818.
0 Cheers
mykeleavitt1952
Level 1
Thank you.  I will also specifically check to see if it happens only when opening prior years, or if it happens just by opening and closing 2017 multiple times.  I really want to get this resolved before the onslaught of the new season.
0 Cheers