Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries 2018 Printing crashes the software. Sometimes locking the return from the very same PC. All other programs on the same network print without fail.

finetta0911
Level 1

Yet there is a Technology Fee to make us pay more for a software without basic functionalities. (like the undo feature, Ctl-Z)

When your same PC is not letting you open a return you can return to your HomeBase and then click on the "HomeBase" drop down menu and click on "HomeBase Tune-Up" and let it run. That should free up your return. The printer will still crash however. (It can fix itself sometimes when closing all ProSeries on the network and giving it like a day to.. reset? recover?)

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

But the good news is TurdoTax is doing the same thing so you can expect a fix coming very soon now.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
18 Comments 18
IRonMaN
Level 15

But the good news is TurdoTax is doing the same thing so you can expect a fix coming very soon now.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Yeah, word has it to uninstall all non-essential modules with PS. I normally download all state but am now limiting states to the few I actually do. I dont do 1040NR's and I use another software for my biz needs. 

0 Cheers
DougSell
Level 1
I've uninstalled 1040 NR and 706 twice and deselected both in my module selection screen, but whenever the update routine runs, it automatically re-selects both modules.  And the problem continues.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
hmmmmm..... @DougSell in the update section do you still have those modules selected?
0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5
Just checking. Did you do these extra steps in addition to uninstalling 1040NR and 706?

From the Windows Start menu, select Computer
Go to C:\prowinXX\Updates folder, (XX=Tax Year)
Press CTRL + A keys on the keyboard
Press Delete key on the keyboard
Open 20XX ProSeries program
Go to Update > Select and Download New Products menu item

I uninstalled 1040NR via the Control Panel and performed these extra steps, and my 1044NR unchecked itself on the module selection screen. When I went in to uncheck it myself, it was already unchecked, and it hasn't come back. Mine is a standalone system. I'm not sure how things would work on a network system.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Sorry, you can't buy a working program just by paying an extra technology fee. You are at the mercy of the programmers (who are really just human and do make mistakes) regardless of how much you pay. It sounds like you have done a stellar job overcoming as least some of the foibles of the latest release. Just wait a while and it will be correct, or maybe just replaced with another mess up of some other thing that used to work.

GOOD JOB!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
finetta0911
Level 1
When does it stop being "Human" and start being careless? Last year's PS and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that the exact same Undo feature has not worked. When should they be responsible for the basics? Well said though, "Overcoming" is a constant with PS. Likewise as you said, we wait
0 Cheers
erickodish
Level 3
any fixes to this yet?
I am having same issues
0 Cheers
DougSell
Level 1
I am having the same issue.  Uninstalled 1040NR per some old recommendations, and that helped a bit.  My crashes were happening anytime I printed within a return.  Now, it only happens while printing in Homebase.  Uninstalling 1040NR was a partial improvement.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The unofficial word is to get rid of all the excessive baggage that you have to help the situation until a permanent fix comes out.  Any modules not currently being used (currently unused state, unused business modules) should be uninstalled to free up memory.  That's why uninstalling the 1040NR was a partial improvement.

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1608926-uninstalling-a-federal-or-state-product

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
anita-silver
Level 1
4 CRASHES TO PRINT ONE RETURN!! Fix this problem, it is such a productivity killer.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Did you try uninstalling unused modules?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
anita-silver
Level 1
I haven't unistalled anything. Do you know if I need to uninstall it on each workstation or on the server? And will it automatically re-install or will I need to manually re-install when it is fixed. This is so frustrating, I am an accountant not a software expert. Once again - such a productivity killer!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I'm not a network person, but if the server isn't crashing, I would assume you would do it just on the workstations.  After you uninstall, you want to make sure when you run updates, the boxes aren't checked for the items you uninstalled or you won't have accomplished anything because they will just be plopped back on the computers.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
finetta0911
Level 1
You can print to PDF without a problem and then print it through Adobe (or literally any other program that is not ProSeries), checking the "Display PDF After" box is a good time save too 🙂
0 Cheers
erickodish
Level 3
i changed the print optimization to print as image. and it is working.
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

There is no one here from Pro Series Support.  Please call 1-800-434-6818 and report the problem.

0 Cheers
karencurrin
Level 1
The problem has been reported and we are still waiting on a correction.  
0 Cheers