Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I paper file a Federal amended return by writing "Amended" on top of the form so I don't have to wait until 3/7 for the final 1040X to come out?

garyrogr
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can paper file a new 1040 return with "Superseded" at the top....but anything paper filed will be stuck in a mail pile for who knows how long right now.

You can google superseded returns if you're not familiar with what they are.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can paper file a new 1040 return with "Superseded" at the top....but anything paper filed will be stuck in a mail pile for who knows how long right now.

You can google superseded returns if you're not familiar with what they are.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
Lisa I have saw returns filed by writing Superseded on top being flagged as a duplicate return. I always use 1040X, and when you send them in before due date they are always treated as a Superseded return
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I always use the 1040X as well (it keeps things straight in my head as to what's been done)...but if you're impatient and really want mail something in before the 1040X is available, you do have this option.

Paper returns are at the mercy of the data entry clerk that enters them, I see them miss stuff all the time.

Had a new client last year that had a lump sum SS payout in 2017 for 4 years worth of SS income, the preparer did it all right (even though it was some scam preparer that didn't even sign her name to the return!), they paper filed and the IRS data entry person missed the LSE next to the SS amount and IRS sent a bill charging taxes on the whole SS amount...they'd been making payments to IRS for this money they didn't owe during 2018...I filed an amended and got them back the original refund along with all the erroneous payments and interest!

In the 1040X explanation, I pointed out that their data entry clerk screwed up and sent a copy of the original 1040 with the LSE highlighted!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers