Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rather than enter many stock transactions from a brokerage statement, can the totals from the 1099-B Summary Section of the statement be entered ?

fmconway
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CMS_VA_CPA
Level 3

Yes, if the brokerage statement contains the basis for each transaction and reports same to IRS.

Also yes if the brokerage does not report basis information to IRS and you attach the brokerage statement to the return.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
CMS_VA_CPA
Level 3

Yes, if the brokerage statement contains the basis for each transaction and reports same to IRS.

Also yes if the brokerage does not report basis information to IRS and you attach the brokerage statement to the return.

hcliston
Level 4

Thank you for this. It's helpful.

Now, could someone tell me WHERE I enter summary data from a 1099-B with many transactions?

Is that on the "Capital Gain (Loss) Transaction Worksheet"?

Or Schedule D?

Is there a special worksheet for summaries? 

Thank you!

0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5

Someone may have a better technique, but this is how I make those entries:

AGGREGATED S/T SALES [BASIS RPTD, PDF ATTACHED], 12/31/19, VARIOUS, S

AGGREGATED S/T SALES [BASIS NOT RPTD, PDF ATTACHED], 12/31/19, VARIOUS, S

AGGREGATED L/T SALES [BASIS RPTD, PDF ATTACHED], 12/31/19, VARIOUS, L

AGGREGATED L/T SALES [BASIS NOT RPTD, PDF ATTACHED], 12/31/19, VARIOUS, L

I separate them like this because each category will generate a separate Form 8949.

I then strip the brokerage consolidated 1099 down to the 1099-B pages, type the client's name and SSN on the first page of the 1099-B, and attach it to the return for efiling.

hcliston
Level 4

Thanks, Happy.

0 Cheers