Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will 32 bit processing continue for 2018? When will 64 bit processing become the requirement?

johnoc
Level 3

Current issues with 32 bit processing? Will these be corrected for this tax season? How soon?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think 32 bit will be dead for next year’s software.  They are still fighting fires on it for the current year.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think 32 bit will be dead for next year’s software.  They are still fighting fires on it for the current year.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, I saw one of the PS articles that said for 2019 taxes 32bit will no longer be supported

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5

I did some light research this weekend and found some semi-good news. My desktop is running the 32-bit version of Windows 10, but the computer is actually a 64-bit machine. I found this by going to Control Panel > System, and the System Type reads "32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor." I googled that phrase and found that it means that I'm running a 32-bit version of Windows on a machine that's capable of running the 64-bit version.

It turns out that when Microsoft upgraded my Win 7 to Win 10, it provided me with the 32-bit version of Win 10. However, I can now upgrade to the 64-bit version of Win 10 for free, although it's a time-consuming process because I have to do a clean install of Win 10 64-bit. This means that I may lose some stuff and some drivers will undoubtedly require updates. But at least I don't have to buy a new computer.

I'll try this project once tax season is over and will post to let others know what to expect.

0 Cheers