Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open an open file when computer rebooted

dinahangeles
Level 1

a client file open. computer rebooted due to "blue screen error." I'm trying to reopen the same file but it won't let me because it says its already in use.  how do I open the file?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would try rebooting again to see if that helps, maybe even try a hard reboot by shutting your computer off.  If it doesn't, the file could have been scrambled into an omelet when it was rebooted when the blue screen of death appeared.  If that is the case, you can try deleting the file and restoring the file from a clean backup or ……………………. delete the file and start from scratch (not everybody's favorite choice).

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would try rebooting again to see if that helps, maybe even try a hard reboot by shutting your computer off.  If it doesn't, the file could have been scrambled into an omelet when it was rebooted when the blue screen of death appeared.  If that is the case, you can try deleting the file and restoring the file from a clean backup or ……………………. delete the file and start from scratch (not everybody's favorite choice).

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
I had one of those on about April 15th.  It disappeared completely and reappeared a few days later.  
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Yeah, I saw their picture on the milk carton on April 16th.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
:laughing:  Actually it was an extension in the process of being filed electronically and I recreated it with the information I had.  Two days later they both appeared with the original one being denied the extension because the SSN was scrambled. Glad I did the second one because there was a large amount of money due (and paid on IRS site).

0 Cheers