Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you transfer the data between the FBAR and Form 8938?

johnw
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

I don't use PS but doubt so since the nature of reporting and the types of accounts and levels of details reportable are different between the two forms although there are some overlaps.

Even on the organizer, it is difficult to conceive how you could gather information for both forms in the same section - I have only seen one organizer that tries to do that but it's overly complicated, even for experienced tax pros, and that could only increase the chance of costly mistakes being made when it comes to FBAR and FATCA compliance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

I don't use PS but doubt so since the nature of reporting and the types of accounts and levels of details reportable are different between the two forms although there are some overlaps.

Even on the organizer, it is difficult to conceive how you could gather information for both forms in the same section - I have only seen one organizer that tries to do that but it's overly complicated, even for experienced tax pros, and that could only increase the chance of costly mistakes being made when it comes to FBAR and FATCA compliance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

No.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
GJTT
Level 2

This would be an important improvement for preparers who prepare multiple FBARs and Forms 8938 each year. There is at least one major tax software product that does allow data transfer. Items like bank name, address, account number, and even maximum balance should easily transfer.