Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would death of prior accountant be reasonable cause for abatement of S Corporation late filing penalty?

nancy
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's worth a try, that is assuming that he died near the due date rather than 11 months ago.  But the IRS usually does allow one get out of free jail card, so if they haven't used it previously they probably can dodge the penalty.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's worth a try, that is assuming that he died near the due date rather than 11 months ago.  But the IRS usually does allow one get out of free jail card, so if they haven't used it previously they probably can dodge the penalty.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I agree, it will probably fly.  Especially if the prior accountant failed to provide things like depreciation schedules that had to be recreated from scratch.  In the blue folder I give to the client, I like to put everything they need to go somewhere else in case I'm hit by a bus.  Or in case I go on a road trip and just never come back (wishful thinking sometimes--especially around the second week of October!)

Rick
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
hahaha, Rick! Yes, FTA (first time abatement) would work as @IRonMaN suggested if death of prior does not work.
0 Cheers