Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on Sunday while listening to polka music

PATAX
Level 15

The weak clock radio in my office only picks up a couple of channels so I'm stuck listening to polka music. Is it just me, or does every song sound the same? Well at least Heidi doesn't seem to mind it. She is tapping her paw on the floor.🐕

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

As a kid, the sound of polkas radiating from our house terrified me.  There was a local polka **bleep** and he would crank up the volume to the max.  There was also a Saturday morning radio show that played polka requests.  My dad would call in and request songs for his two sisters that lived in town and the sisters would reciprocate and call in requests for him.  The radio also was cranked to the max.  My dad died 10 years ago and since that time I gained a new respect for that music.  It brings a smile to my face thinking about those early polka days.  So enjoy the music!

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

17 Comments 17
IRonMaN
Level 15

As a kid, the sound of polkas radiating from our house terrified me.  There was a local polka **bleep** and he would crank up the volume to the max.  There was also a Saturday morning radio show that played polka requests.  My dad would call in and request songs for his two sisters that lived in town and the sisters would reciprocate and call in requests for him.  The radio also was cranked to the max.  My dad died 10 years ago and since that time I gained a new respect for that music.  It brings a smile to my face thinking about those early polka days.  So enjoy the music!

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Are you sure Heidi isn't tapping out SOS hoping a canine friend will come rescue her from that awful music...........lol

IRonMaN
Level 15

So you can't say "b a n d" here without being censored.  What a Mickey Mouse operation.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I am at the office working, listening to the Great American Songbook at 91.5 FM online, out of Bainbridge, Ohio. Bright sunny day here. waiting for my next appointment.. working on extensions between clients. 

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh she could be. I keep the office door open and she sits right in front of the storm door where she can look outside. Every person that comes by, especially with a dog, she will bark. Then she comes over to my desk for a treat so I have to give her some. 

PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN why are they even worried about that? Maybe they should pay more attention to service and product. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

"The weak clock radio in my office only picks up a couple of channels"

But the computer is connected to the internet, which contains multitudes. Have you ever used any of the radio apps to pick up any station that feeds, from nearly anywhere on the planet? I've been using internet "radios" for over 20 years.

This one:

Online Radio Navigator Pro Link 

has a geolocator option. For example, Bomba FM or Bombay Beats India? Really fun.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

On the weekends I'll usually have Pandora playing Johnny Cash Radio.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@qbteachmt can you use that radio app at the same time that you're on the computer doing tax returns? And also are those radio apps free? I'm not going to pay for anything that is free like radio, I am a little bit cheap or should I say frugal.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Pandora is free.  

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN thanks I'll do a Google search on that and look into it.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Yes, they play in the background. It's called TSR (terminate and stay running). Just like a smart phone. That specific one has "in product ads" such as a phony "Windows has issues, click here" box that I just ignore. I also use Grover Podcast from the Windows store, load my podcasts, and right now I am listening to The Skeptics Guide to the Universe (new episodes drop every Sat) and have 20 or so listed here, along with many of them on my Squeezebox radios. These newer tools even find the podcast for you and then mark it Subscribed, so the new episodes just show up. I don't download or store anything, either.

Pandora and Spotify rely on playlists and randomized content. You also can use TuneIn for free, which I set on my smart phone for the alarm app, to wake up to my MT radio station while in FL, for example. The Squeezebox system used radiotime, which turned into TuneIn. That also has a desktop app portal, and you can simply use their webpage portal, if you don't want to load anything on the computer. The apps have a nicer interface, though. My favorites from TuneIn on the Squeezeboxes show in the Favorites on the computer and the smart phone.

And I love podcast players that let me listen at 1.4 speed.

I am self-admittedly over-entertained.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

@qbteachmt thanks QB I appreciate it

BobKamman
Level 15

I hope those people in Mississippi weren't listening only to Bombay radio weather reports before the tornado hit.  

itonewbie
Level 15

@PATAX You can also try AccuRadio, which lets you listen to channels of all genres for free and you can compile your own song list after signing in with a free account (which is optional).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

@itonewbie thanks I'll look into that.

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Roll out that barrel.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.