Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work put wrong SSN on client's W2. How reliable is Part IV of the W2?

jeanmarc
Level 3

A taxpayer's employer put the wrong SSN on their W2. Now they are having trouble getting a corrected copy. Their employer keeps saying that they are waiting on the payroll company to send them the corrected W2. I want to know if anyone has had experience using Part IV of the W2 form in ProSeries, where you can enter the taxpayer's information (including SSN) to match the W2. Will this cause any issues that I should know about or is it best to keep waiting on the employer to get the corrected copy to them. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

As long as you know a corrected W2 is on its way, Id just enter it as if it were correct....refund may be delayed due to withholding not matching up (it'll take some time for the correction rto get updated in SSA/IRS systems), but you're kind of stuck on that part, not much you can do for that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

I've filed returns for clients that received W2s with wrong SS#.   Told client to have the employer correct but didn't wait for the corrected before e-filing.  Didn't have any issues.

jeanmarc
Level 3

Thanks, did you fill in Part IV of the W2 in ProSeries, where you put the incorrect information from the W2 (I am assuming so that they can match it up)?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive just filed it like the W2 had the correct number on it.

That part where you can put the wrong SSN Ive only done with it client that has an ITIN and their W2 has a phony SSN on it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

Don't be surprised if you have to wait for a while for that corrected W-2 from the payroll company... Sometimes when they have to correct something they drag their feet especially if the error is on their part and they can't bill the client for it... But that is just my opinion...

sjrcpa
Level 15

Drag their feet or flat out won't do it.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

@sjrcpa same thing sometimes for entities that issue 1099-R forms....

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

The substitute w2 worked for me years ago. I suspect that changing the Social Security number on a W-2 is not as simple as it sounds for the payroll company. If it doesn’t sound like you’re getting a corrected W-2 in the near future, then complete section IV and file the return.Taxpayer is reporting the correct income so there is no harm, no foul.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
dkh
Level 15

No, I did not fill in Part IV