Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i e file federal individual return without employer federal identification number W-2

SL
Level 3

a new client's former employer closed their business and did not issue W-2 statements.  the taxpayer has her final paystub but does not have the employer's federal identification number or state of ohio employers identification number..  I have completed federal form 4852 for attachment.  can I e file her 2018 federal form 1040 and state of ohio tax returns or does she need to mail paper returns as we are missing the employer numbers?

I am getting an error message to enter the ein number on the w-2 worksheet.

if I can e mail, is there something special I need to do (ie uncheck boxes regarding e file conversion)

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Without an EIN you wont be able to Efile….Im not sure if you can Efile a 4852 at all to be honest...what happens when you mark it for Efiling and run through the review?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Without an EIN you wont be able to Efile….Im not sure if you can Efile a 4852 at all to be honest...what happens when you mark it for Efiling and run through the review?

0 Cheers
SL
Level 3
thanks for response.  I get an error message on review.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Unfortunately I think your client will be stuck filing by paper.  Don't forget to include the preparers statement as to why its not being Efiled….Form 8948.  Your state may have a similar form as well.

0 Cheers