Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WILL THE PROGRAM LET ME FILE A SECOND TAX RETURN FOR THE SAME CLIENT TO SUPERCEDE THE ORIGINALLY FILED RETURN?

TOMS RIVER JACK
Level 1

AFTER I E FILED THE TAX RETURN THE CLIENT FOUND ANOTHER FORM  1099 WITH A LOT MORE INCOME.  Instead of filing an amended return I CAN file another return before the due date and it will supersede the original return and avoid underreporting penalties'  WILL PRO SERIES BASIC ALLOW ME TO DO THIS.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

No, this is not allowed.

This is not so much a ProSeries policy, but rather an IRS policy.  Once your SSN has been used on a filed return, that's it.  Any return that is attempted to be electronically filed using the same SSN will be automatically rejected.

Amending the return is the only option here.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
GodFather
Level 8

I'm new to ProSeries.  I have the professional version and I'm not sure the system will allow you to refile another return with the same social security numbers, but let's see if someone with more experience can confirm that.  With that said, why wouldn't you want to file an amended return?

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

No, this is not allowed.

This is not so much a ProSeries policy, but rather an IRS policy.  Once your SSN has been used on a filed return, that's it.  Any return that is attempted to be electronically filed using the same SSN will be automatically rejected.

Amending the return is the only option here.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No.  Paper file a superseded return or EF an amended return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TOMS RIVER JACK
Level 1

IT WILL TAKE THE IRS AT LEAST 4TO $6 MONTHS TO PROCESS THE AMENDED RETURN AND THE TAXPAYER WILL BE ASSSED A PENALTY FOR SIGNIFICANTLY UNDER REPORTINGHIS INCOME ON THE ORIGINAL RETUR.N. BY filing a correct second return  before the due date  negates the under reporting penalty. THE  second return becomes the official return .

Thanks for asking. I remembered this from school and checked it out last night.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

A 1040X filed by the due date is a Superseded return.

So you can e-file the 1040X.

TOMS RIVER JACK
Level 1

Thanks  for taking the time to comment but i have had a lot of trouble filing an amended return using pro series in prior attempts. it was just easier and more expedient to file another return to supersede the original one.  

0 Cheers