Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi router or direct internet line

PATAX
Level 15

Just got my new computer system today... Will be calling the cable company tomorrow to get the high-speed internet service... Should I get Wi-Fi router or a direct internet cable line to the back of the computer? Not really sure if one is more reliable over the other, or if one is more secure than the other... What do you guys think?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

My experience, (and recommendation from my installer) was that any portion of my system connected directly by ethernet cable will provide better performance than WIFI. 

I have my Desktop and two printers connected directly to the router by cable. By the way, the same router also provides the WIFI to any other devices I wish to connect. 

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

My experience, (and recommendation from my installer) was that any portion of my system connected directly by ethernet cable will provide better performance than WIFI. 

I have my Desktop and two printers connected directly to the router by cable. By the way, the same router also provides the WIFI to any other devices I wish to connect. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I "think" the data security were suppose to have would require an ethernet cable rather than a wi-fi connection. Dont most internet connection devices have both?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

That's what I was thinking.. Yeah I do think router has both Wi-Fi and ethernet cable... On my other computer it wanted to do the Wi-Fi with the printer but I bypassed it and did a direct cable to the printer... I'm leaning towards the ethernet cable for security reasons but another accountant told me he uses Wi-Fi router and there is a secure password and it is safe...

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I'm leaning towards the ethernet cable for security reasons"

In this day and age does that really make you any safer?  If someone really wants to hack into your system, they will hack into their system.  It sucks that there are so many slime balls out in the world that everybody has to live in fear of being hacked.  Maybe they need to start tracking a few of these people down and start making examples of them.  Maybe cutting off a hand or arm of a few might get the attention of the other vermin out there. 

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

You hit the nail on the head Iron Man.... Been cleaning out the office all day all the old 1922 stuff.... Trying to make room for the new computer and I guess I'm going to have to switch do the cable line Internet so I need room for that... I've been using the phone line direct internet but it is not fast like they say it is...

qbteachmt
Level 15

Cable it, whenever possible. It also depends on your household provisioning, of course.

When you decide to try a Speed Test on any computer, the instructions include connecting a cable to the modem and not testing over WiFi, because you are only testing the WiFi at that point. WiFi has loss and overlap conflict, no matter what else you think you built into it. Have you ever seen a WiFi analyzer heat map?

Take a look at mine.

WiFi Analyzer.jpg

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks qb.... I appreciate it

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Hard wire is alway faster, more reliable and more secure than Wi-Fi 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
qbteachmt
Level 15

Hardwire is faster, if you have it. I've had plenty of clients where their home office relies on their cell provider sending them a little hot spot box, and man, is that a pita. And we have WiFi "cable" providers, whose internet you will attempt to get from their antenna. They have one in the downtown core and one out at my end of the valley on the roof of a hospital, so that's like a rural relay system.

All of this should be different in about 3 years, with the infrastructure bill that passed. At least, those of us in underserved areas should see significant changes. Like going from telephone party lines to your own connection was a huge improvement. Or, when we got our own power substation, and my power no longer cut out once a month, during a maintenance cycle.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks a million qb.. I'm going to call the cable company now to get a direct cable line to the back of this new computer , because it looks like you are supposed to have an internet connection before you turn it on the first time.... For now I will keep the old computer on the old telephone internet connection, which is supposed to be fast but usually it is not... Thank you again, I appreciate it