Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would Proseries not apply the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit?

davetodd11
Level 5
Taxpayer (Single, not claimed on anyone else's return) qualifies for American Opportunity Credit, but Proseries Form 8863 is only applying the non-refundable portion.  The box on line 7 is being automatically checked, and line 8 is blank.  What could I be missing that would cause the line 7 box to be checked?
0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
dkh
Level 15

Well...F8863 line 7 says .... if under age 24 AND meet conditions described in instructions  - skip line 8 enter line 7 on line 9            So you will need to read instructions to see what conditions are being met to cause this.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Did you answer questions at very bottom of form 8863 if your client is under age 24

0 Cheers
davetodd11
Level 5

I did.  Proseries actually specifically indicates that TP is eligible for the credit.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Are parents alive?   If yes, doesn't qualify for refundable amount.   READ the instructions.  

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

What were your answers to question 1,2, and 3 at the bottom of the 8863

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@dkh If taxpayer supports himself, and doesn't qualify to be anyone's dependent he is eligibly for the refundable AOTC even if his parents are alive.

0 Cheers
davetodd11
Level 5

23 HCS or AOC claimed for 4 year - No (this is the first time claimed)

24 At least half-time - Yes

25 Completed first 4 years of post-secondary ed. - No

26 Convicted of felony - No

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

ok @Terry53029 ....I read thru instructions - agreed.    But what we don't know is :::  How old is this taxpayer?  And does the taxpayer actually support themself?

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@davetodd11 You need to go to the bottom of the form 8863 with heading "additional questions for taxpayers who were under 24 at the end of 2020" There are three questions you need to answer 1, 2, and 3

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Terry53029 wrote:

@dkh If taxpayer supports himself, and doesn't qualify to be anyone's dependent he is eligibly for the refundable AOTC even if his parents are alive.

He must provide over half of his support with EARNED income.

dkh
Level 15

See what is or is not checked on the Federal Information Worksheet  Part X - Dependent of Someone Else

0 Cheers
davetodd11
Level 5

In the information worksheet, I have indicated that the taxpayer cannot be claimed by another.

Proseries is giving the entire amount of the $2,500 credit as non-refundable.  Since it ultimately works out the same on this particular return, I'm just going to leave it as PS has it calculated.

0 Cheers