Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my amended form 1040 is being rejected

PHRCPA
Level 3

I just electronically filed a 2020 Amended Form 1040. I had filed electronically the original Form 1040. On the amended I checked the box it was amended and the box that the original was electronically filed. Just received notice the IRS rejected it as a duplicate. 

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Not sure what went wrong but try to verify the steps in creating the 1040X and efile procedure... here's the article from help files

How do I amend a 1040 in ProSeries?

This article will help you create and file Form 1040-X, Amended U. S. Individual Tax Return.

Before you start:

• If you're recreating a 1040 filed by someone else, use the main forms and worksheets. Don't override amounts on the 1040.
  • You can now e-file 2020 amendments even if you didn't file the client's original 1040. See "Which amended returns can I e-file?" below for more details.

How to complete Form 1040X

1. Open the client’s original return.
  2. From the File menu, select Save as.
  3. Save the return using a different name. For example, SmithCopy20.20I
  4. Go to Homebase. 
  5. Open the originally filed return (not the copy you just created). Use the File name column to tell them apart.
  6. Press F6 to open forms, then type X to highlight Form 1040-X in the list.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Scroll down to the This return is for calendar year line.
  9. Check the box for the year you’re amending.

• Checking the current year box tells ProSeries to freeze the “Original amount” figures for column A at that moment. However, columns A-C won’t show any numbers until you enter changes on the return.
  10. Scroll down to Part III and enter an Explanation of Changes.

If amending a state return as well:

1. Make the amended changes on the original form or worksheet.
    • For example, if you’re amending to add another child to the return, go to the Federal Information Worksheet. Or, to report additional sole proprietor income, go to the Schedule C.
  2. After you enter your change(s) on the original forms, review the 1040X

ProSeries will automatically complete the lines of the 1040X that are required based on the change you’re reporting. 

To e-file the amended return:

1. Open the Federal Information Worksheet.
  2. Click the QuickZoom button to jump to Part VII - E-file extend/amend.
  3. Check the box to File federal amended return electronically.
  4. If not already checked, mark the box for Check if original federal return was successfully e-filed.
    • Manually check if the original return was accepted in a different data file, or if the original return was submitted by a different program or tax preparer.
    • This option is only available in 2020 ProSeries. See "Which amended returns can I e-file?" below.
  5. Run Final Review to check for errors or diagnostics.
  6. Save the return, and go to the EF Center or EF Clients Homebase view.
  7. Highlight the client. Look in the Amended Return column to see which line is Marked for EF if you’re not sure which file to transmit.
    • Their EF Status will show as Duplicate SSN, since the copy you created is also listed here.
  8. Go to the E-file menu and select Electronic Filing.
  9. Click on Convert/Transmit Returns and Extensions…
  10. You’ll see a warning that another taxpayer with the same SSN is present. Click Yes to continue with transmitting the return.
  11. Convert and transmit the client's amended individual return.

Make sure to check for e-file acknowledgements after e-filing.

Which amended returns can I e-file?

To e-file an amended return for 2020, the original 1040 must have been filed electronically and accepted by the IRS. Several amended conditions aren’t eligible for e-filing. You’ll receive errors with details if your amendment can’t be e-filed, so make sure to run Final Review.

Most amended state tax returns can’t be e-filed. Review the Electronic Filing choices on the Federal Information Worksheet to see what states are supported in the year you’re amending. For 2020, Georgia, Michigan, New York, Vermont, and Wisconsin are supported for e-file.

2019 amended returns can only be e-filed through ProSeries 2019, and e-filing is only supported if the original return shows as "Accepted" in ProSeries. Tax year 2018 and prior must be paper filed.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

You mentioned that your recent amended filing was rejected due to duplicate. Did you or someone else had filed the earlier amended return? And what is the status of that earlier filing?

0 Cheers
PHRCPA
Level 3

There was an extension filed in April, an original return in July and the attempt to file amended the other day. The duplicate message references the extension date and original dates filed. 

0 Cheers
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

Would it possible for you to lookup the EF status here? https://myproconnect.intuit.com/#/accounts/efile-status. And let us know what the status of the return is?

0 Cheers