Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Form 8812 Child Tax Credit is showing up with input errors on a return with no dependents?

Level 4

I am inputting   data on a 2021 return which I have done for several years.  It is for a Married Couple with no Children or other Dependents. A Form 8812 Child Tax Credits is appearing with errors wanting to know how much was received in 2020 for Child Tax Credits.  I have always filled out the data info sheet With Taxpayer Occupation - Educator and Spouses Occupation - Disabled.  There are no dependents. They did receive the $2400.00 Recovery Rebate Credit.

The Child Tax Credit form 8821 appears with two errors in the Letter 6419 box - Lines B1 and B2 wanting to know how much child tax credit they received in 2021 --- which obviously is 0 for both and they have received no letter. Looking at their 2020 return there is nothing done to suggest anything about a CTC.  However, I cannot remove that form from the 2021 tax return to e-file and hate doing that because the form does not apply.  I checked other 2021s that I have entered for married with no children and no 8812 has come up.  If anyone else has had this happen please let me know how you resolved it.

Thanks

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think every return is going to have an 8812 on it, just in case you received any advanced payments (even though you shouldnt have).

Inputting zeros for both lines doesnt get rid of the error?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I noticed that too.....it is an error we will deal with the entire tax season. Do as Lisa suggests and show zeroes. I also did same and error disappeared. 

Level 4

Thanks for your reply Lisa.  Filling in with Zero's does get rid of the errors.  The only reason I was questioning is because I compared with another similar return I'm working on as far as Married filing joint and no Dependents, and there was no 8812 on that one? That's why I was stumped.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Did you mean to say they received the $2800  Recovery Rebate Credit.

Level 4

Yes, but they received $2500. Recovery rebate credit.  They Have no children or other dependents.

Form 8812 is showing errors on the program, but this is for the child tax credit.  I can just put zeros in the blanks, and it takes care of the errors but can't understand why it would have to be e-filed with the return.,

0 Cheers
Level 4

Thanks

0 Cheers
jboroski08
Level 1

I'm having the same issue. My concern is a delayed refund if I submit this form with the return?

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Here's more information that might be helpful regarding 8812: Common questions about the Child Tax Credit and 8812 in ProSeries

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
0 Cheers
Weewestie
Level 1

Possibly a programing error. I tried to delete and it said can't be deleted. More than first rating.

0 Cheers