Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Pro Series allow a MFJ status return if one spouse can be claimed as a dependent by someone else?

tgurganus
Level 1

Taxpayer's daughter was a full-time college student, living at home with parents, totally supported by parents, no income until 12/27/18 when she got married.  Daughter and new husband filed a joint return.  Pro Series ask the question can taxpayer or spouse be claimed as a dependent by someone else.  The filing status of MFJ and the box for spouse can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.  The return was calculated and filed.  When the parents filed their return claiming the daughter their return was rejected due to the filing status of the Joint return.  It is my understanding that a MFJ status cannont be amended to MFS status after the due date of 4/15.  It is also my understanding that a MFJ status eliminates the ability to be claimed as a dependent on another return.  Assuming my understanding is correct, why does Pro Series allow MFJ is one spouse can be a dependent on another return.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 12

This rule was changed a while ago. The parents cannot claim a married child who files MFJ with her spouse UNLESS THE YOUNGER COUPLE IS GETTING ALL THEIR TAXES BACK ANYWAY, and filing MFJ IS UNNECESSARY.

In other words, if the younger couple has so little income that all of their withholdings come back to them, their filing MFJ doesn't prevent parents from claiming their child.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
So the bigger question is this:  Can the parent's really claim the daughter as a dependent?  If the MFJ return is for anything other than getting withholding back, the parent's CAN'T claim the daughter because she is filing MFJ.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
In other words, you have it backwards.  Being a dependent of somebody else does NOT disqualify MFJ, but it is the other way around:  MFJ usually disqualifies somebody else claiming them as a dependent (unless the MFJ is only to get a refund of withholding).
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

This rule was changed a while ago. The parents cannot claim a married child who files MFJ with her spouse UNLESS THE YOUNGER COUPLE IS GETTING ALL THEIR TAXES BACK ANYWAY, and filing MFJ IS UNNECESSARY.

In other words, if the younger couple has so little income that all of their withholdings come back to them, their filing MFJ doesn't prevent parents from claiming their child.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
so if that was the case, the parents would just need to file their return on paper to claim the daughter?  (I've never ever had this type of situation)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers