Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Form 8453 disappear when you use a single code M but when you add a second code W Form 8453 re-appears although totally blank

Level 1

There seems to be a difference this year when inputting multiple Capital gains worksheet codes including M for attached PDF files. When you add a second code W say for wash sales Form 8453 pops up again in the Forms in Use column although it is totally blank. In prior years Form 8453 would disappear altogether once you indicated you were attaching a PDF.   If you only have a single code M Form 8453 will disappear from the forms in use column.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
16 Replies 16
Level 15
Level 15

M = attaching a PDF

If you want to mail in the 1099B, check the box at the top of the worksheet

schd8453.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Level 1

I'm not mailing. I am attaching a PDF file and have checked no in that box. It is when I add a second code W for wash sales that the Form 8453 pops up again although blank with no boxes checked on that form.

0 Cheers
Level 15
Level 15
May be some programming glitch, new Sch D this year, Id just ignore that 8453 that pops up. I'll tag a programmer so maybe they can add it to the punch list of things that need fixing.

0 Cheers
Level 15
Level 15

@Orlando  I dont think this is officially your department, but I havent been getting much response to things I report in the Lounge or  tag Austin in, so maybe you could hand this off to the correct place?

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Hi!

I'm standing in for Orlando. I'll take a look at this...

Can you help me understand impact. We just get a blank 8453 when there shouldn't be one? Everything else works as expected?

Level 1

Correct. I can get the correct tax result. The wash sale adj amount is properly making an adjustment to the loss and the correct multiple codes (MW) are showing. It's just that Form 8453 won't go away and it looks like it will get sent blank to IRS. So I'm not sure if IRS will send client a notice saying no Form 8453 was received. (well, the reason is that the 1099-B activity was attached as a PDF.) The Form 8453 also prints out on the client copy so I have to remove that otherwise client might get confused. This has never happened in the 30 years I have had ProSeries. It's only because Intuit changed the input forms and hasn't noticed this program glitch. There has to be others who are having this problem. Whenever you get a 20-25 page 1099-B it is not unusual at all to have some wash sale activity.

0 Cheers
Level 15
Level 15

Can you go into Control Which Forms print and set the 8453 to Never?
I dont think it will get sent to IRS its for paper filing only, but the Never setting might get rid of it in your Client copy.

0 Cheers
Level 1

This Form is not listed under either Filing Copy or Client Copy for elimination. I could pull the client copy but it is the Filing Copy I am trying to eliminate.But thanks for the suggestion. Intuit needs to fix this. Please Intuit can you fix this??

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Hi - 

We're currently working on this 🙂 

We should have a fix out to you soon, but I don't have an exact date. 

0 Cheers
Level 1

Thank you so much

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Gotcha. Yeah that sounds frustrating. Not my domain, but I'll have someone take a look at it from my end.

Thanks for calling this out to us!

Level 11

I'm wondering, does the form go away when you attach the PDF?  Maybe the software is "smart" enough to ass-u-me that if you're summarizing but haven't attached anything then you must be mailing it in.

0 Cheers
Level 1

nope, pdf file is attached

0 Cheers
Level 11

Okay, just a shot in the dark.  Like Lisa, I'd ignore it.

0 Cheers
Level 1

The Form 8453 does print out with the return and it looks like the blank form wants to go with the e-filed return. Technical Support was of no use at all when I called this morning.

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Thanks for reporting this issue.  I've reported to the appropriate development team for review. 

0 Cheers