Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do I get an error for efiling an amended return due to filing status change?

jlasworth
Level 2

why do I get an error for efiling an amended return due to filing status change?

Is this a 2019 amended return problem or will it get fixed?

Will 2020 be the same?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

There are certain types of changes that you cant Efile an amended return.   Status changes might be one of them.

I remember seeing the list last summer, I cant recall the details right now.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

You don't say what the error message is, so I have to ask - what direction are you doing for that filing status change?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Ding, ding, ding!  Lisa get's the prize.

Filing status IS one of the things that has to be amended on a paper return:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

(As of 2/11/2021) Amended Returns must be filed by Paper for the following reasons:

1. Only Tax Year 2019 and 2020 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically at this time. Amended Returns for any other tax years or tax types must be filed by paper.
  2. There must be a record of an "original" electronically filed return for Tax Year 2019 or Tax Year 2020. If the original Tax Year 2019 or Tax Year 2020 return was filed by paper, it must be amended by paper.
  3. If the Primary Social Security Number is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
  4. If the Spouse's Social Security Number (if applicable) is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
  5. If the Filing Status differs from the Filing Status on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.