Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my 2017 ID INFO NOT TRANSFER TO 2018

EDDIE
Level 4

Why did all of my prior clients I.D Info not transfer from 2017- 2018

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

For starters, you are extremely brave to transfer all of you clients on the first day that the software is available.  Lacerte had some major bugs in its organizer when clients were rolled over, so it would be a surprise if ProSeries worked perfect on the first day.  I would delete the clients and try transferring them again.  If that doesn't work, assume it is the first bug of the season for ProSeries and wait for an update before you try transferring them again.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
22 Comments 22
IntuitRichard
Employee
Employee
Could you provide more information on which IDs did not transfer?  Certain IDs will not transfer by design such as state withholding IDS and Driver's License information in certain states.  This information does not transfer at the request of state agencies.  
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Umm.  Richard.  What about the request of customers?  How many customers asked for this?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I think the states were the ones doing the requesting for those things.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
In the good old days, "The customer was always right!"
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Those days have long past gone.
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
@Marc.TaxMan while I can appreciate where you come from on this, some states mandate this.  For example Pub 93 from NY https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/Pub%2093_TY2017.pdf Please note, in this statement the state of New York requires that taxpayers are required to provide that information “to be entered into the software”. This is the statement that New York has made to indicate that the information must be entered into the software vs. pre-populated (transferred).

You can chose to do what you prefer copy/paste but for NY as an example, that's a "no-no", so we are just staying compliant to these types of request
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

For starters, you are extremely brave to transfer all of you clients on the first day that the software is available.  Lacerte had some major bugs in its organizer when clients were rolled over, so it would be a surprise if ProSeries worked perfect on the first day.  I would delete the clients and try transferring them again.  If that doesn't work, assume it is the first bug of the season for ProSeries and wait for an update before you try transferring them again.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
That is real good advice @IRonMaN. I myself will NOT d/l software until mid december. I will freak myself out with all the bugs upon first release.
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
This is a deliberate omission in the program: "This information does not transfer at the request of state agencies."  So how do you deal with that?  Always a work around.  Open both years and cut and paste between them.  Great safety feature
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
is it the drivers license that does not transfer or W-2 State ID? are there states that dont allow that transfer re: W-2's?
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
it can be BOTH @garman22
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Maybe Eddie can come back and provide some more details on the subject.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Interesting. I was not aware re: W-2 State ID #'s. I knew of Drivers Licenses. Illinois as of '17 does not require Drivers Licenses.

When I transferred 16 to 17, I did so early and I had those issues re: Sch C and Illinois' W-2 State ID not transferring. I just re-entered them. A pain but it only takes a moment.

I think its crazy they dont allow Drivers Licenses to re-populate but.....thats the rule.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
It is kinda stupid.  It's like not allowing Social Security numbers to transfer between years.  I could maybe bite on DL dates, because they do expire - unless some of these states provide new numbers once the old DL has expired.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
:+1::+1:
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I downloaded the new program, I usually wait until after Thanksgiving…..wow, what a jumbled up mess, am I the only one that feels like everything is scattered all over the place?  I updated my client letter that goes out in Dec letting people know that appointment times will be longer and my fees will be higher this year!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
How so, Lisa? Do forms not follow suit with the search for forms?
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Hey Lisa....would you send me the wording you're using re: longer appointments & higher fees?  I'm considering a similar letter too.  TIA  (or, tell me to bug off :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'll try to remember when Im back in the office next week, Im not going in tomorrow.  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Thx...& I'll try to remember to remind you :smile::smile:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
In relation to this, not sure if you've seen this but thought this may help: https://www.firmofthefuture.com/content/2018-intuit-rate-survey-billing-rates-value-pricing-and-more... (the links are supposed to put you further down on the page but that doesn't seem to do that) but hopefully this helps too 🙂
0 Cheers