Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why capital gain reduce tax liability

dbtaxsolutions
Level 4

Scenario:  W2 income is $35 256.00, Interest income $2529 - 12 000 MFS standard deduction = taxable income 25 785 with tax liability of $2 903.

Scenario: Same w2, interest income, + capital gain line 6 of $13 240 = taxable income of $ 39 025 after 12 k deduction, the tax liability is $2 139.00?

Can someone please help me understand why an additional $13 240 of capital gain

reduced the tax liability? I would think there would be more since there is higher taxable income. I understand the different long term capital gain tax rate, but since w2 has not changed, even if capital gain tax is zero, shouldn't the tax liability be the same at $2903?

Thank you in advance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

For the 2nd scenario, I get a tax of 2,967. You have some other item in this mix. The answer to your query is that the extra capital gain is very lightly taxed compared to the other income. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
George4Tacks
Level 15

For the 2nd scenario, I get a tax of 2,967. You have some other item in this mix. The answer to your query is that the extra capital gain is very lightly taxed compared to the other income. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
dbtaxsolutions
Level 4
hmmm. proseries produced a $2139. I find that depending on the box marked on the tax table smart worksheet, affects the over all tax liability. My additional question is, does the software just pre selects what box (1 tax table, 3 Sch D capital gain tax table, or 4 capital gain worksheet) and applies it to all income, capital gain and ordinary income? i have looked at all the forms related to this transaction and i cannot see the tax table used to determine how they came up with varying tax liabilities? thank you
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I use ProSeries and I'm getting $2967 like George did, when using $2529 of regular long-term capital gain.

You didn't add any withholding, payments or anything else to the second scenario, did you?

Where do you see the "tax table smart worksheet"?  Yes the program uses the method and table that is appropriate, based on the IRS instructions.

If you click the "Find Form" button (or hit Control-F), type "SC" and it will bring you to the Schedule D Tax Worksheet.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I'm with George.  Did that offline and online and got the same number.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
dbtaxsolutions
Level 4
Too bad i can't post a photo of the return. The tax table smart worksheet is on 1040  in the software (not on print out).  The 13 240 comes from Capital gain of 24 513 - 11 273 rental real state suspended loses (final year). The capital gain comes from a qualified homesale that was depreciated for 2.5 years as a rental and un recaptured section 1250 gain of $4378. The prior CPA used a much lower basis for depreciation on the rental asset so that linking the homesale to rental asset disposal creates a capital gain when in fact the owner bought it for 143000 and sold it for 140 000.  The Cpa depreciated it at the basis of 58 930 starting in 2015, so when i did the sale and appropriate the sale portion of the bldg, it came up to 115 173 creating that huge capital gain (but outside of that, it's actually a loss). Doing that created the 2139 tax liability. When i found out, it was actually a loss, i disregarded the basis that was used, did not link the home sale and just did qualified home sale, that's when i got the $2903 result, which was higher for some reason. Thank you everyone, i am just trying to make sense of this worksheet. I don't actually see a capital gains tax table, do you?
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Wow, I haven't read through this but it has a whole lot more information than what you provided in the initial question and follow-up comments.  Would have been helpful if you included all the details upfront.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
"The 13 240 comes from Capital gain of 24 513 - 11 273 rental real state suspended loses (final year)"

I think that is what you are missing.  The suspended losses are ORDINARY, and offset the W-2 income.  Then you have $24,513 of capital gain.
0 Cheers
dbtaxsolutions
Level 4
In Schedule 1 shows this adjustment to income, line 13 cap gain 24 513 - 11273, line 22 gives 13 240, which then goes to line 6 of 1040 increasing taxable income. These are in the return that produced a lower tax bill with capital gain, why i am trying to get at is why with 13 240 capital gain, it was giving me $2139 tax, if i take it out, it's $2903. In the tax smart worksheet, with capital gain, it selects the capital gain tax table, without it, it selects the first box of tax table. I see what the software is doing, but i wanted to see the behind the scene how these tax figures came about.. I have played with this return over and over and still getting the same result. sorry, i am missing something for sure, just don't know what. thank you.
0 Cheers
dbtaxsolutions
Level 4
I would be happy to email the two version, if anyone is interested in looking at it. I just don't know how to explain to a client how his liability is higher without the capital gain (?) assuming the numbers /results produced was correct. Thank you.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I'm curious to figure out what is going on.  If you want to send me a "sanitized" copy of them (no private information), I'll see what I can figure out.
0 Cheers
dbtaxsolutions
Level 4
Sent it Bill, thank you so much and thank you everybody, i know it's crunch time. I sure appreciate it.
0 Cheers