Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are so many California forms ineligible for e-filing? Form 2106, etc. Is the a ProSeries limitation or and FTB issue?

TAXMANPAT
Level 2

It looks like that there are many California Forms still available to file that have been eliminated by the Feds via tax reform. Nearly all of these Forms have been eligible for e-filing forever but appear to be ineligible for efiling in 2018 to the FTB.  Is this the case? Example: Form 2106. Is this a limitation of the FTB or ProSeries? If this isa Proseries limitation is there a plan to correct this problem.   I can't imagine needing to file a couple hundred paper returns this season but be need to juggle staff if that is the case.  Any clarity on this issue would be very helpful.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I have Ca installed and just reviewed my own return, it contains the 2106 for my husbands work expenses, it doesn't tell me its ineligible...where do you see that message?  Are they getting rejected by the state of CA when you file?

Ive never had a return ineligible for E-filing by the state of CA.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I have Ca installed and just reviewed my own return, it contains the 2106 for my husbands work expenses, it doesn't tell me its ineligible...where do you see that message?  Are they getting rejected by the state of CA when you file?

Ive never had a return ineligible for E-filing by the state of CA.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
California DID NOT conform to the federal changes and misc. itemized deductions are still deductible on a CA tax return.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You enter all the info on the Federal Sch A...youre not trying to enter direct onto a CA form are you?

0 Cheers
TAXMANPAT
Level 2
I understand that CA does not conform and I've transferred the non conforming useful information to the California return and those deductions are correctly computed on the 540 Form.  My issue is that either ProSeries or the FTB have seemed to deem these return ineligible for e-filing.  Will I be able to e-file these returns eventually?  
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Again YOU do not enter those on the CA return.  Enter them on the Federal Sch A and let the program transfer them over. If you are entering directly on a CA form its you that is making them ineligible for Efiling.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I have NEVER had a CA return that wasn't eligible to Efile.

0 Cheers
TAXMANPAT
Level 2
Go to "Current Status of All Forms" on ProSeries,  under 1040 & States open California Ind, click "Form Info" and notice all of the Forms that are not eligible for e-filing.  I've never had an issue was ineligible until now, hence my concern.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
When was the last time you ran an update?
When youre in the client return, and you run a Review of the state return....do forms come up as ineligible?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ohh, I see on the forms release schedule, lots of stuff says EF not allowed....I wouldn't rely on that, rely on the Review section of the program to tell you what can and cant be Efiled.

Many of those forms CA uses the federal one for anyhow, you don't fill out a California Sch C, it pulls the Federal AGI and starts from there which already includes the Sch C income on the federal.

0 Cheers
TAXMANPAT
Level 2
That is good news. I update daily and the Form 2106 on the CA is jamming everything!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
oh yea, it wont be ready until the 7th of Feb, but its still eligible for EF once its final.

0 Cheers