Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Section 1231 Loss Carryovers showing up on the carryover form when they have been used in prior years?

mapleton2009
Level 1

Why are they still showing up when it shows they were used on the Form 4797 for the years in questions ??

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

If you're certain it's been caught up and you don't see this being a problem on multiple returns, I'd make the adjustment and call it a day.  If it's any consolation, I don't recall others raising this as a problem on this board.

If you want to know why, you will need to contact Support and they'd probably ask to see the return, then take time to diagnose, and may eventually come back with an inclusive answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

If you're certain it's been caught up and you don't see this being a problem on multiple returns, I'd make the adjustment and call it a day.  If it's any consolation, I don't recall others raising this as a problem on this board.

If you want to know why, you will need to contact Support and they'd probably ask to see the return, then take time to diagnose, and may eventually come back with an inclusive answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Are you talking about these (attached)?

This is where ProSeries tracks the last 5 years worth of 1231 losses.  The short answer, it's an IRS anti-abuse rule that prevents you from using losses from one year to offset regular income at regular tax rates and then using gains in any of the five subsequent years to get capital gains tax rates.  Future gains are taxed at ordinary tax rates to the extent of your 1231 losses in the five preceding years.  This is where ProSeries tracks those amounts.  If that's what you're asking about, don't delete them, they may be necessary in order to prepare an accurate return in the future.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Thought the OP says it's all caught up.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
These things are widely misunderstood.  I think what the OP means by "they have been used" is that the losses have been used on prior tax returns (to reduce other income).  Not that the carryover information has been used on prior tax returns (to adjust the rate which was applied to 1231 gains.)  AFAIK ProSeries tracks these things accurately since, as you pointed out, no one else is complaining. 🙂

But your guess is as good as mine.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
PS: I would have put this in the "request more details" section but the only way I know to attach an image is by making it an answer.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
You could be right.  Hopefully, the OP would come back with more info.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers