Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting an error when filing an extension request for a Colorado individual return?

davetodd11
Level 5
When e-filing a Colorado individual return extension request, I receive an error indicating that "The extension does not meet the conditions for electronic filing.  Form DR 0158-I is not active.  Check the freeze box to activate."

On the Form DR158-I worksheet, I DO have the freeze box checked, and the return passes the error validation.  Anyone have an idea as to why I would still be receiving this error?

Also, income tax expected to be owed is $0.00 because of a 2020 over-payment carryover.
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davetodd11
Level 5

This is the first year I've done Colorado returns, and I did run the error validation.  One note I didn't catch on the DR158-I worksheet was that you are only supposed to submit that form if a payment is due.  In my case, it wasn't, so the system won't even let me submit one.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
dkh
Level 15

I'm going to start by asking if Colorado state returns are what you normally prepare or is this a one and only for a client ?      If it's your normal then I'd guess you know all the steps required to send an extension.  If it's a one time deal - I'd start with the Information Worksheet within Colorado to be sure all check boxes have been activated.   Did you run Check Errors to see what message(s) come up?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I know CA wont let me send an extension unless a payment is included, maybe CO is the same. 

If you dont owe them any money, they dont want an extension.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
davetodd11
Level 5

This is the first year I've done Colorado returns, and I did run the error validation.  One note I didn't catch on the DR158-I worksheet was that you are only supposed to submit that form if a payment is due.  In my case, it wasn't, so the system won't even let me submit one.

davetodd11
Level 5

Turns out CO is similar.  The issue was that the DR158-I form was only supposed to be submitted if a payment was due/being made.  I missed the note that specifically said NOT to submit the form if no payment was due.

0 Cheers