Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to input W-2 dependent's child income

Highlighted
Level 2
last updated ‎February 27, 2020 7:26 PM

My client's son is 18. He is a full time student. He is part of household, has same home address. He got W-2 form. He earned $870 for the entire year. Where do I input his W-2 form income. There is only option for main taxpayer or spouse

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 15

He has to file his OWN return; it doesn't go on his parents return.

And since it sounds like you are new to professional tax preparation, make sure you don't forget to mark that he is being claimed by someone else.

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted
Level 15

He has to file his OWN return; it doesn't go on his parents return.

And since it sounds like you are new to professional tax preparation, make sure you don't forget to mark that he is being claimed by someone else.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8
Level 8

@abctax55 too kind 🙂

@arth-taxes Unless the kid has any withholdings that he wants back  I wouldn't bother.

Highlighted
Level 15

I have my good moments... occasionally 

Highlighted
Level 2

No withholding and income for entire year $870. So, you wouldn't file his return at all?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

@arth-taxes wrote:

No withholding and income for entire year $870. So, you wouldn't file his return at all?

Are you new to tax prep or a DYI'er? 

Unless child has withholding and even then it would be a judgement call based on your fee......I would not file it. 

Highlighted
Level 2

I appreciate your response. Thank you. If he got no withholding and income of just $870, is he still required to file his return?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 10

Ask Turbo Tax.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.