Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to enter the child for the earned income credit when child is dependent of non custodial parent? Under HOH section or under dependent section?

bpbasl1
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

List under dependent's section with a code of Q.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Dep info worksheet, Code N, last column

depcoden.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Code Q, if the question is being asked by the custodial parent who cannot claim the child as a dependent (which is how I read it, because otherwise EIC is not allowed).

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ah, I had it backwards!   I was thinking they wanted it for the dependent on the non custodial parents return!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
bpbasl1
Level 2

They alternate the dependent each year.  The non-custodial parent is claiming the dependent this year.

the Custodial client is my client - so to file as HOH and get the earning income credit only - should the child be listed under dependents section -as Q ? or under the HOH section only?  the EIC amount is different depending on which section I include it....?

0 Cheers
bpbasl1
Level 2

They alternate the dependent each year.  The non-custodial parent is claiming the dependent this year.

the Custodial client is my client - so to file as HOH and get the earning income credit only - should the child be listed under dependents section -as Q ? or under the HOH section only?  the EIC amount is different depending on which section I include it....?

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

List under dependent's section with a code of Q.