Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the Grouping rental activities election (non RE professional)?

dlabrahams
Level 2

Do I now need to do this in preparer notes or is there a way to link them since only the RE professional election is listed?  Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Can you clarify why you are grouping them?  That may help us to help you.

0 Cheers
dlabrahams
Level 2

So that each rental activity isn't treated separately in order to avoid the passive activity deduction limitation from applying to each activity separately.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but why would you want to do that?

Wouldn't that mean that when a property is sold, the Passive Losses are NOT released until all of the grouped properties are sold?  Is that what you really want?  That  is usually the opposite of what most people want.

Other than that, I don't see what grouping them would accomplish.  Again, maybe I am just missing something, but my first thought is that is a bad idea.  Generally, grouping is done in order for a Real Estate Professional to get Material Participation.  Grouping for a non-Real Estate Professional seems to be the opposite of what most people would want.

As for your actual question, if you really want to group them, you need an attached statement indicating the grouping.  You would probably type it up in a word processing program and attach the PDF to the tax return.   But as I mentioned above, my first thought is that is NOT what you want to be doing.

acpapa
Level 2

Grouping rental activities when applying the tests to determine material participation and put certain income against losses. 

0 Cheers