Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is Form 1099-NEC in Proseries Basic?

kgalland
Level 4

Does Proseries Basic not offer a place to enter Form 1099-NEC? All I can find is Form 1099-Misc even in the where do I enter search? These are so common how could they omit this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgalland
Level 4

The 1099 income is reported separately on Sch C but I see if you go to Sch C you can select the 1099-NEC form there. Don't know why it wasn't added as a form under the Income Section with 1099-Misc. Makes more sense to me but at least now I can have it transfer to next year.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
qbteachmt
Level 15

It's an Informational form. The client has it because they got paid for something they did for someone else, and they might even have made $3million from payments from lots of people for that same thing. The 1099-NEC was issued because someone paid them at least $600.

So, you figure out what that is for them and their tax return: Sched C? Farming?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
kgalland
Level 4

I know what a 1099-NEC is. Lol I prepare hundreds of them. It replaced the 1099-Misc for contractors which is still included. I can't imagine any tax software that doesn't link them to the form. The IRS matches them with a specific tax form so it is good to include on tax returns when e-filing. I guess proseries is not much of a professional sofware anymore if they don't even include basic forms. They knew the forms were being added this year so I don't know why the software wasn't updated.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I've never seen this: "The IRS matches them with a specific tax form"

All they do is make sure, for anything that was reported to them, the taxpayer reports at least similar enough information that the IRS can determine this information was acted on by your tax payer. There is no matching heuristic or reconciliation. You don't even need to enter individual 1099-NEC. You need to enter all related income, though. Even if Not reported on the 1099-NEC.

"They knew the forms were being added this year so I don't know why the software wasn't updated."

Did you enter that this person has it as part of Sched C?

qbteachmt
Level 15

Here's your Help article:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1099-nec/help/how-to-enter-form-1099-nec-nonemployee-co...

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I guess proseries is not much of a professional sofware anymore if they don't even include basic forms"

Um, that isn't a basic form.  The IRS matches totals, not individual 1099s for a schedule C.  If you want to enter data needlessly into forms that mean nothing, that is your choice.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Instead of only complaining, it sure would be great if someone returned and told you they figured it out. Just once in a while, it would be nice to see them settle the issue and then let others know their error. That's what a Community is for.

Otherwise, shouldn't you start with the Help articles?

0 Cheers
kgalland
Level 4

The 1099 income is reported separately on Sch C but I see if you go to Sch C you can select the 1099-NEC form there. Don't know why it wasn't added as a form under the Income Section with 1099-Misc. Makes more sense to me but at least now I can have it transfer to next year.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Don't know why it wasn't added as a form under the Income Section with 1099-Misc."

You have Basic. If you pay up for Professional, you would have more input forms. You have a worksheet, which accomplishes the same goal. That's why I provided the Help link you have for your program.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Don't know about everyone else, but I only enter amount, never have entered 1099MISC or the new 1099NEC waste of time

IRonMaN
Level 15

Same here.

Slava Ukraini!
kgalland
Level 4

If you read the 3rd comment, I did post the resolution.  Now instead of being shown with other 1099 Forms you have to go to the specific tax form and choose enter 1099-NEC. 

0 Cheers