Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter Passive Income Excess carryovers from Form 1116?

davetodd11
Level 5
I am taking over the preparation of Form 1040  tax returns for a client beginning with 2021. Their 2019 and 2020 return files include a "Tax Return Carryovers to 202x" schedule showing a negative dollar amount for "Passive Inc Excess Limit". The amounts of the carryovers for each year are the difference of Form 1116 line 21, minus line 24 (foreign taxes paid). Ultimately, the amount of the foreign tax credit on the 1116 worksheet ends up being the full amount of foreign taxes paid, so I'm not sure why there would be a "carryover".

Am I missing something and these "carryover" amounts from "Disallowing Form: 1116" supposed to be entered somewhere in ProSeries, or are these figures actually not true carryovers at all?
0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

What software was used for the prior returns?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
davetodd11
Level 5

CCH Axcess.

0 Cheers
EricaCPA
Level 1

I have the same carryover "passive income excess limit".   It sounds similar to your situation.  The prior year was able to use the foreign tax credit in full so I'm not sure what this carryover relates to?  Did you end up inputting it anywhere?  Thanks!

0 Cheers