Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you sell rental real estate, besides the original cost of the property itself, how do you handle other assets that increased the cost basis of the property sold?

warrenite41
Level 3
Major re-modeling and added furnace increased the value of the property and were separately depreciated. Should these assets be shown as dispositions? I need to add them to the adjusted basis of the asset that was sold.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FREDW21901
Level 3

If the assets were included in the sales price of the property, then show the full sales price as the sales price on the disposition line of the main property asset and show the improvements (other assets) as disposed for -0- . Only the depreciation of those improvements will then be added to the gross profit on the sale.

If any depreciated assets were sold separately from the real property, then their sales price should be shown on the disposition amount of the asset depreciation worksheet.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
PATAX
Level 15

... in my opinion....All rental real estate  fixed assets as well as capitalized improvements should be on the depreciation schedule along with the original purchase price of the residential real estate... You allocate the sales price,as well as the selling expenses, to each of the assets on the depreciation schedule... Just my opinion...

FREDW21901
Level 3

If the assets were included in the sales price of the property, then show the full sales price as the sales price on the disposition line of the main property asset and show the improvements (other assets) as disposed for -0- . Only the depreciation of those improvements will then be added to the gross profit on the sale.

If any depreciated assets were sold separately from the real property, then their sales price should be shown on the disposition amount of the asset depreciation worksheet.