Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you take off an exclusion as a business expense?

user0607121985
Level 2

One of my clients who is a real estate agent said that she sat in a session of a Tax attorney who said (if she understood it correctly), that you could take an exclusion for working a family member in your business and take it off as a deduction.  Is this true?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Huh?  What's an "exclusion"?

When you pay your working family member wages, you report those wages on form W-2.  The wages and associated employer payroll taxes are deductible on Schedule C.  The wages are included on that family member's 1040.  So if it's a spouse, you're moving it from Schedule C to 1040 Line 1.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
rbynaker
Level 13

Huh?  What's an "exclusion"?

When you pay your working family member wages, you report those wages on form W-2.  The wages and associated employer payroll taxes are deductible on Schedule C.  The wages are included on that family member's 1040.  So if it's a spouse, you're moving it from Schedule C to 1040 Line 1.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Either your client "mis-heard" what the attorney was saying, or they should find a different attorney.

Or, let HIM do the tax return :smile:

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4

Maybe the attorney was talking about like Fica/Medicare/Futa for the "exclusion", not the word I would have used.  But that would make sense for a child or spouse employee.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

When is the next class?  I'm eager to learn about things I never heard of before.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers