Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when is proseries professional going to extend the date out to May 17th for debit payment???

jeffcpa1949
Level 1

Still limited to debiting on April 15th and get error message when you put May 17th date for debit.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
Andrewpo
Level 2

I can't believe we pay all this money and Intuit can't keep up with the updated tax laws. I am now with clients who insist on paying May 17 but want to file now.

Andy Powers

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

This is the 10,000 time I've posted this. 

Seriously Andrewpo - do you think the moment a law passes software companies can update everything?  They first need guidance from the tax agencies. Then it takes time to update software. And what about the 43 states with taxes?  Are they extended and to what date.  My state (MD) extended to July 15th.  Give it time for them to fix and get it right.

And if you're clients want to file now - my question is - who runs your practice - you or the clients? This is the reality of using a computer. It takes time.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im sure the program will be updated by 4/15 for the extended due date, if clients want to wait to pay until May 17th, they can do so (OR you can do it for them) using the IRS Direct Pay website.

It took close to 3 weeks last year for Intuit to get the program updated for the new due date.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

agreed.......tell your clients to sit tight. They JUST extended the date...give Intuit time. 

Andrewpo
Level 2

What kind of a bovine scatology statement is that??? People travel long distances to have their income tax returns prepared and I have to tell them that they can't file their tax return because my software provider can't have their software engineers make a simple code adjustment? This is peak filing season and for the money that we pay for licensing of this software, updates as simple as this need to be made within 24 hours. Intuit knew their were changes ahead and should have planned for it. As far as the states, I agree that can wait a few days. I find your comment to be condescending and insulting. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Nothing is stopping them from filing a return.

IRS has to make the date adjustment on their end before the software companies can reprogram for it. It took weeks for it to happen last year when they changed the due date.

Are you new to this profession? You dont seem to understand how all this works.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dascpa
Level 11

Bovine scatology - wow, had to look that one up.

Is it just a simple change the date in the software?  What items are affected by a due date change: Underpayment penalties? Direct Debits? The Letter? 43 States? Where you're missing the boat is that all the software companies are dealing with 1040's, 1041's, 1120's, and more as well as the states for all of these.  Every time there is a law change in any jurisdiction they have to make sure their update doesn't screw up something else. Just look at my post last week that Microsoft's Windows 10 Update screwed up millions of computers from both printing and the blue screen of death. It affected my office.

Yes, we're in the business of customer service.  Yes, we're at the mercy of our software companies. But I'd rather wait and get it right versus explaining to a client - oops, we have to amend and you owe more money because the software update wasn't fully checked.  Just my 39 years of experience talking here.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Hey, sign me up for that bovine scatology class.  I have a BS in BS but that sounds like a potential masters degree program.

Slava Ukraini!
DTNY07
Level 7

Just prepared a return that owes the IRS.  When I put 5/17 as the direct debit date, I no longer have an error message.  I checked two other returns from earlier in the week where I had the error message and those no longer have the error message.  I won't be sending this return yet until i get the client's approval.  But, just wondering if it is now okay with the 5/17 date.  Thanks

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

You're off base here.  As many times as I have complained about Pro Series in the 14 years I have been using their software.  This is not their fault.  

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

Just prepared a return that owes the IRS.  When I put 5/17 as the direct debit date, I no longer have an error message.  I checked two other returns from earlier in the week where I had the error message and those no longer have the error message.  I won't be sending this return yet until i get the client's approval.  But, just wondering if it is now okay with the 5/17 date.  Thanks

0 Cheers