Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can I efile 1040/2017?

mfinmanea
Level 1

Today is Jan 16, 2019.  When can I file a 2017 1040??  I've been holding this for several weeks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Hold on to it a little longer.  2017 e-filing opens back up the same time the 2018 e-filing starts - 1/28/19.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

Hold on to it a little longer.  2017 e-filing opens back up the same time the 2018 e-filing starts - 1/28/19.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive got 2 Ive been holding since late November...still glad we didn't file by mail, who knows what's happening there in the IRS mailroom, don't want to be tangled up in that mess, that's for sure!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
mfinmanea
Level 1
Thank you both.  I'll be patient a little longer.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Gannon
Level 2
Drake Software has been able to e-file back returns since 16th - What wrong with Intuit?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Sounds like they are holding them in queue until the Efile season officially opens.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Being “in queue” scares me.  I would rather wait in line on the on ramp waiting for the freeway to open up.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dsnyder
Level 1
Any updates? Today is March 12, 2019. I'm able to e-file client returns for 2018, however I have a client who needs to file 2017. ProConnect is saying that the IRS will re-open for 2017 e-filing in late January 2019. Clearly this is not current information as it's March. What's going on?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Are you sure it's March?  The post says it is Jan 18, 2019 and I believe everything I read on the internet.  But as to e-filing, once the current year is open, the old open years open too.  So if you are e-filing 2018 returns, you should be able to do the same for 2017 returns.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dsnyder
Level 1
Ummm...it says I just posted my question 7 minutes ago. And yes, I'm positive that today is March 12, 2019. I can see my calendar.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But you didn't post a question.  You posted a comment to someone else's question that was posted two months ago.  But your comment was dated 39 minutes ago, not 7.  Maybe we should just deal with the real issue instead of dates and time - e-filing is open for 2017 returns.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"ProConnect is saying that the IRS will re-open for 2017 e-filing in late January 2019"

I don't use ProConnect Online, I use ProSeries Professional and Ive been able to Efile 2017 returns since mid January

Does ProConnect have a way to update the 2017 program?  I know I had to update the 2017 version of ProSeries before I could Efile those returns.

0 Cheers
dsnyder
Level 1
Thanks for sharing this. I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with ProConnect support to find out that it was a local return blocking the filing. The IRS and State returns were able to be e-filed but the local return was not. Once I unchecked the E-file box for local, I was able to transmit 2017 Federal and State. ProConnect (says they are) working on updating the error message to clarify the issue. Right now the error message claims that the IRS and States are not accepting 2017 e-file, when really it's dependent on local!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:+1:   I'm in CA, we don't have any local taxes, so I would have never even guessed that! Glad you figured it out!:+1:

0 Cheers