Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualified business deduction can a construction self employed or babysitter qualify for This deduction. Also does a 1099 qualify for this deduction given from employer

rose323
Level 5

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-provision-11011-section-199a-qualified-business-i...

Generally employers should not be issuing 1099's. Why was this done?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
25 Comments 25
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-provision-11011-section-199a-qualified-business-i...

Generally employers should not be issuing 1099's. Why was this done?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im so glad I hit all those new tax law education seminars this year!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rose323
Level 5
The taxpayer has a 1099 of course the nonemployee compensation is linked to schedule which directs to the deduction I am specifying . All positive comments please thank you
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
What is your question?   Are you trying to decide if this 1099 income is considered to be qualified trade or business income?

0 Cheers
rose323
Level 5
Yes .... Sorry I'm currently going to school to become a Cpa and I am a ctec preparer helping lower income communities.  I thought this would be a good place to ask yet I find it sort of mean
0 Cheers
rose323
Level 5
I will direct myself and review my course once again for the answer thank you for your time
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Jannett - Sounds like your clients qualify for the deduction.  Nobody is mean here, but sometimes our patience level could be a built up a little ------------------ but in any case we all wear muzzles so nobody will bite you.  Good luck!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Didn't mean to sound rude or mean, sorry.  We get all types of "preparers" in here, some are barely qualified to prepare their own returns, let alone those for other people.

I also am a CTEC preparer, I'm not a fancy EA or CPA  🙂

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
No one is trying to be mean, and that extra info is appreciated.  Knowing that you are a tax pro who IS trying to understand/learn this *new* complicated law is important.
We get a lot of questions here from DIYers, and also from "tax pro's" who don't do continuing education and just rely on this forum for their research.
Good luck in school - been there/done that and it's been well worth it.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Lisa, my best friend is *just* a CTECer.   I keep trying to get her to go for her EA designation, 'cuz she really knows her stuff.  I suspect she could pass the test cold turkey.  
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I admit to being a CPA, but titles don't mean much to me, especially when people try to impress me with titles.  I have seen CPAs and EPAs here that are dumber than a box of rocks ------------ and I might be insulting the rocks by saying that.  On the other hand, I see folks posting here all of the time without any fancy titles that are very knowledgeable.  So titles don't mean diddly.  So Lisa, don't sell yourself short just because you don't have a fancy title containing the letter "A".  Some of the CPAs and EAs that have posted here over the years, have an A in a title but the title could easily end with "hole".

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im not interested in getting involved in corporation stuff, so I wouldn't be able to pass the EA test I'm sure.

My dad, the one I argue with  LOL   He went to classes and studied his butt off for months to take the EA test back in early 2000...didn't pass any of the 4 parts.   I can make a living doing what I do with the designation I have...Im content!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I could never be a CPA, balance sheets make me want to kill someone.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
That really isn't a big deal.  The key is to know where to bury the bodies :expressionless::expressionless:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'm not a good shoveler  LOL

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Invest in a good post hole digger.  They don't go looking for small round graves :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Interesting you should mention that. My brother selected a rather hippy cemetery at Whiskeytown Dam for the burial of cremains of our parents, his wife & himself. We enquired as to whether we need the cemetery to do the digging and were told "Just bring a post hole digger and you will be fine."

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Those gosh darn hippies :sunflower::sunflower:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rose323
Level 5
Thank you ! Everyone !
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
:+1: x2:+1:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Only YOU, based on your professional experience AND all the CPE that you've done (right?) concerning 199A can determine whether your client's activity/income rises to the level of a trade or business.  

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

IMHO - the construction client - YES to 199A.

The babysitter....maybe.  

Give us more info on the babysitter and we'll all form a collective opinion.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I think people go to a babysitter is a " trade or business where the principal asset is the reputation or skill of one or more of its employees." and therefore NOT a Qualified Trade or Business. 

Even construction might be a one person shop and hence relies on the reputation of the tradesperson. 

I just love how clear the lines are. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
you mean an SSBT, not a qualified trade or business...right?

0 Cheers