Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the default password on a tax return PDF when the address is a foreign address? My client's foreign zip code contains letters as well as numbers & won't open.

julie
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Did your client follow the exact instructions provided for the password?  Have you tried following those instructions and tested whether it fails?  Here's an excerpt from PS' article:

"The encrypted PDF file will be created with an automatically generated password created from information in the tax return. The email the taxpayer receives will contain a brief set of instructions explain how to determine the the password that must be used to open the encrypted PDF attachment. The password cannot be manually set and the tax payer will need to know the information described in the included instructions in order to view the tax return."

I don't use PS but it appears that PS automatically extracts certain pieces of data within the return and concatenates those in some way to create a string for the password.

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1606622-create-and-email-password-protected-pdf-fi... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I've NEVER had ProSeries assign a password to a PDF, so I doubt there is a "default" password.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Did your client follow the exact instructions provided for the password?  Have you tried following those instructions and tested whether it fails?  Here's an excerpt from PS' article:

"The encrypted PDF file will be created with an automatically generated password created from information in the tax return. The email the taxpayer receives will contain a brief set of instructions explain how to determine the the password that must be used to open the encrypted PDF attachment. The password cannot be manually set and the tax payer will need to know the information described in the included instructions in order to view the tax return."

I don't use PS but it appears that PS automatically extracts certain pieces of data within the return and concatenates those in some way to create a string for the password.

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1606622-create-and-email-password-protected-pdf-fi... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

The password is the nine digit SSN, the city, and the 5 digit zip code. How can PS set a password without a US determined 5 digit zip code when there is no 5 digit zip code?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Ah, so that's the convention.

Supposing foreign postal codes are entered in a different field than the one for Zip Code, my hunch is that it's programmed to omit the Zip, have it as 00000 or 99999, or it just goes wonky without the required input (which then causes the file to get locked up without a usable password).

@Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr) Could you please confirm?  Thanks!
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers