Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the amount a california resident can deduct on his tax return that works in a foreign country

invst4u
Level 1

0 Cheers
31 Comments 31
IRonMaN
Level 15

What are you looking to deduct?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Wow what a question.... This is a forum for tax preparers, you are a tax preparer are you not?

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

My mind reading told me @invst4u (a he) was asking how much of the foreign earned income on Form 2555 or 2555EZ would also be excluded on the CA return.

The answer is zero, zilch, nada, none or nothing...

On Form 540, the full amount on Form 2555 is added back to the Federal AGI.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
abctax55
Level 15

CA residents are taxed on their worldwide income, foreign (country or *foreign* state) income or not.

And I wasn't aware *tax returns* could actually "work" /S

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

Good job Houdini...😀

abctax55
Level 15

I thought Houdini was an escape artist ?

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think he did pretty much anything for a buck.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

He had an extremely high IQ... He also debunked the so-called Spirit talkers and other so-called mediums that were prominent and popular in the country at that time, among all classes of people....

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

This Houdini also do escaping - e.g. from the oops of calling Dawn a he....

PATAX
Level 15

I won't try to understand what that means since I am a little naive and let that thing fly over my head👍

IRonMaN
Level 15

It means his mind reading is pretty good but his interpreting of names needs a little work.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@PATAX  Joshua called *Dawn* a 'he' on a different thread.  Thus raising serious doubt as to his actual mind reading skills 🤣 

( Generic Comment )"
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I think he did pretty much anything for a buck.

At first brush, I wasn't sure whether @IRonMaN  was talking about @invst4u @me or @Houdini.

Then, I read: He had an extremely high IQ... He also debunked the so-called Spirit talkers and other so-called mediums that were prominent and popular in the country at that time, among all classes of people....

and realized it could be about @invst4u, @Me or @Houdini....

So, I take a bow.

PATAX
Level 15

Oh okay

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

@PATAX , regarding I won't try to understand what that means since I am a little naive and let that thing fly over my head   joshuabarksatlcs_0-1637183367363.png

Not that it matters, but you'd totally get it if you go over the thread "How do I print a 1040X, the client died" 

I had a cracked tooth pulled (and bone grafted) this morning, the first step to a tooth implant (and the 6th step to getting old).  Thank you all for the distraction from my ache...  

PATAX
Level 15

What a coincidence I just came back from the dentist 2... I swear he's putting the feelings in just so they last about a year and every year I have to go back for another filling that fell out... Good angle there

PATAX
Level 15

Should be fillings not feelings... Trying to type here with this crazy German Shepherd pulling me..

PATAX
Level 15

That happened to me a while back, when I called QB a he... Iron Man corrected me which I thank him for...

IRonMaN
Level 15

Some folks have been around a long time so I know the he/she differences for them.  For other folks it's a  pure guess.  But with a name of Dawn, I was about 99.97571688147811799% sure we had a "she" instead of a "he" posting.  I left a little wiggle room just in case the guy that named his boy Sue had a second son named Dawn.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Iron Man, I was just listening to him on the way down here to the lake... My gsd really likes the song Jackson...

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

My apology to Dawn.

Perhaps I was simply RUI (reading under the influence) - influence of my dentists' filling (and his assistant's feelings).  I remember glancing over the name and it read "Dwan" to me and the image of the poker great flashed (online name durr, in case you want to look HIM up) which prompted me to call her a he. 

A bit sloppy on my part.  But then, it could just be that, still hunkering down and absent from Wynn and Aria for almost two years now, the poker bug was eating up my thoughts...

PATAX
Level 15

👍RUI, that is a great one, I give you credit.... If you put my pop bottles on  when reading, I guarantee you will get lightheaded, and who knows you might be able to see the other side of  those poker cards...🤓🐕

BobKamman
Level 15

Houdini also made the first airplane flight in Australia, in 1910.  He remained interested in aviation for a few years, attending the 1911 International Air Meet in Chicago, where he met Orville Wright, Glenn Curtiss, and Lincoln Beachey. (The famous aviators thought Houdini was Australian, and wanted to know all about “his country.”)

QB is ? I thought all quarterbacks were male. Except maybe that one from Wisconsin who behaves like a little girl around needles. In Mexico, by the way, American football quarterbacks are called “field marshals.”

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Since @BobKamman brought it up, I'd add that, at first glance, I thought QB was an it.  QuickBooks is female?

sjrcpa
Level 15

I think (this thread is meandering) that QB refers to one of our frequent posters qbteachmt who is female.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

"....qbteachmt who is female."  Yeah, @PATAX  now knows.

I *wander* where the OP disappeared to? *Shirley* s/he is getting notifications of all this sillines.

This thread has a slight resemblance to the Troll Party 😊

( Generic Comment )"
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Perhaps I could straighten this (and the meandering) out a bit with my poetic skills.

Roses are red, violets are blue.

Dawn is a she, and Queue Bee's one, too.

Just had to try....

BobKamman
Level 15

My trip to the dentist was yesterday.  I think it's something we all put off until after October 15.  And then soon enough, there will be these people coming to the office, telling us that we remind them of their own trips to the dentist.  

BobKamman
Level 15

Image flashes to me of Earl Derr Biggers.  Everyone remembers Charlie Chan but few know that #2 Son also played Hop Sing in the Bonanza series -- and in real life, was wounded by the FBI as collateral damage when they were trying to stop an airplane hijacking.  

PATAX
Level 15

👍 is there a Nobel Peace Prize for poetry?☝

IRonMaN
Level 15